Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install

Hi, I have just bought the Tri-Bar LED light. The dealer is booked solid for the next 2 weeks and doesn't have time to put it on for me by Saturday when I go to pick up my bike
I was wondering how hard it is to install myself. I have zero experience installing lights and have onlythe basic shi##y tire tools. Is it an easy install? Could I do it? haha

Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install

Its a very easy install, and you only need a very few basic hand tools as its basically a plug and play thing.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:40 PM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

Keep us posted on your experience. I'm thinking about putting it on my Night Train, and I think I hate paying somebody to do something that I could have easily done myself. At the same time, I'm not taking the chance on messing up my baby.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

It's so easy even a caveman can do it. Really, it's not difficult. My hardest part was removing the bolts holding on the plastic fixture that the old light plugs into. There are two bolts on each side under the fender but it's still not hard to do. They were tight, that was my only problem. Other than that it was a piece of cake.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Like I said its a very easy install and if you do a search you'll find that its been discussed before as severl of us have them, myself included. It really sets off the rear especially when you hit the brakes at night and fills up that whole area under the fender.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Beef
Novice

I'm aweful at wrenching and I did this myself on my Night Train. I cannot emphasize how bad I am at this type of stuff. Probably took me twice as long to do it as it should have, but I did it. As Citoriplus said, search for this. There's a thread with a couple of helpful hints, if I recall.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I did it about two weeks ago on my XBones. Overall about a 30 minute job. Just read the instructions and follow them. I found that the fender inside bolts holding on the old plastic case is best done with a 9/16" closed end wrench. Be sure to tighten everything back up with blue loctite. You don't have to cut any wires or anything. Also after the bolts are taken out, if the old case is still hard to slide out, loosen the fender bolt next to the rear turnsignal a bit and that will loosen the clamp snugging the old case in there. It is also easier to slide in the new case with the clamp loosen a bit. After you are thru, retighten the fender bolt to 22 ft-lbs with a T45 star bit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7810/15835350455E4D5987D840C9C708FFD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 PM
gino33
Intermediate

Hey man I am also interested in the tri bar led for my xBones. Like you said dealer is booked. Let me know how you make out. If you get it installed and it wasn't much trouble. I'll put mine on too. Keep us posted. Ride Safe

Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM
ecoli
Cruiser

if there is ANY install for someone to do themselves, this would be it. The directions are great and if you have the proper tools (there's only like 2 or three that you need) it's cake. Just do it, take your time, and keep things organized so you don't lose anything.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser

I put one on my train. It is literally plug and play with only some basic hand tools following the directions that come with it and you should be fine! Unless you have deep pockets and want to pay the dealer to install it and wait for the appointment...it's your call.

Quick Reply: Softail Custom Tri-Bar LED tail light install