Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I THINK I SCREWED UP...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I THINK I SCREWED UP...

i placed a post in the tech section for this but maybe didn't fully explain the issue[&o][&:][8D]( a bit embarrassed) as i said before i am as mechanically inclined as an quadropoligic doing jumping jacks. anyhow, my handlebars have a little play in them. they may have always had play, but i didnt notice it until....I MOVED MY BARS BACK A LITTLE. it seemed pretty easy, i loosened 2 of the bolts on the clamps moved them back an retightened the bolts. when i RETIGHTENED THE BOLTS I HEARD A WEIRD NOISE ON THE LEFT CLAMP. what do you think??? did I break something???

Old 04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer
Default RE: I THINK I SCREWED UP...

what kind of a weird noise? are they all tight?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah, they are all tight. it kinda sounded like the noise you hear when you unscrew a bolt that has been set for a long time (kind of a squeely crack), but it happened when i was tightning the bolt. i hope i didnt crack the housing of the riser. i looked and it looked ok, and the play in the handlebars is coming from where the risers meet the triple tree

Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

You might have stripped the bolt....Those springer bolts are easy to strip out......Helocoil...

I hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
07 J/E FatBoy
Advanced

The noise I believe is normal and was just 'tension'. The play you talk about, sounds like the bushings.

I believe you are OK (as long as the bars are tight and the noise was a squeak).

Anyway, just my .02.

P.S. You can always undo the bolt again to ensure it's OK and not stripped. My guess is that you will hear the noise again for the 1st 1/4 turn when you undo the bolt.... check it out and then re-tighten. Remember you only need to tighten it, do not over tighten.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: hspring03

You might have stripped the bolt....Those springer bolts are easy to strip out......Helocoil...

I hope I'm wrong.
the only reason i think it might be a normal condition is that both of the risers are moving and only one side did i have the noise with...which leads me to believe it whatyou and i were discussing earlier... i checked out that page and they have some cool stuff there.my bike i think only has 6" apes, do you think it would look better with 12's

Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer

+1 for hspring03, easiest thing to do it pull the bolt out and have a look. If so, throw a helicoil in there, they're easy to install. It'll be like new. Just if it's the riser, make sure you install it correctly. It is the only thing holding your bars to your bike. Good Luck.

p.s. it might be a good idea next time to use a torque wrench to tighten them up, just to prevent over tightening. I did the same thing once.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you are okay. Unless something is flappingly loose at least.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I think you are okay. Unless something is flappingly loose at least.
no its not flappingly loose...i am able to see the bars and riser move very slightly if i pull bck on them. it's very little movement i just didnt notice it before

Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
boone432
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, it just sounds like a normal little squeek, but maybe you should pull the bolts out and check them to make sure you didnt break or strip them. just to be safe. as for the play, mine always seem to move a bit, but does it feel to be the bars? or like the whole bar and riser combo? bc it could just be your bushings. maybe go with polyurethane if you want to rid the play.

Quick Reply: I THINK I SCREWED UP...