Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE 103 Stage II Big Bore with 204 Cam and SERT

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE 103 Stage II Big Bore with 204 Cam and SERT

Hey, Brothers. I'm picking up my bike from Mancuso HD (Crossroads) in Houston today. I spoke with Dave, who has been highly regarded on this site. We sat down and did a custom package for my bike. I already had the V&H BSS exhaust so I didn't need the SE Mufflers. They were running a special on the SE Stage II kit with no AC. So, I ordered the 103 Stage II kit with a stage 1 AC and had them put on my V&H exhaust. Dave suggested the 204 cam instead of the normal 255 that comes with the kit. I also bought the SERT. All parts and labor come out to $2,600 + tax (minus a 10% discount). From spending time pricing at other local dealorships, this was the best deal I could get by several hundred dollars. $3K may not sound like a lot to some people, but that was a tough swallow for me. I can't afford HQs kit. What I'm basically asking is did I get a deal, has anybody dealt with Mancuso HD, and does anybody run the 204 cam instead of the 255? I was hoping to tear into it when I get it this afternoon, but was reminded that I have to begin my break in period all over again...painful.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
DocTkd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SE 103 Stage II Big Bore with 204 Cam and SERT

The cheapest price I saw for the upgrade was $1,500.00 at Ervine HD in California. It was a special they had going, but price did not include a/c or the 205 cam.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:58 AM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

I picked it up today. Those V&H BSS pipes sound wonderful. I went out the door at a little over $2,100. I'll need to go back after 1k miles for a tune, but I'm really pleased so far. Dave, the manager at Mancuso, was exactly as described by others on this forum. I had some questions when I picked it up today, and instead of trying to get me out the door, we sat down and talked through everything. He wouldn't let me go until I was comfortable. They've earned my business.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 AM
crosbytx
Stage I

Hey TXFXSTB i am also from the houston area from the time you dropped off your bike how long did it take them to do the 103 upgrade , and what kind of fuel mileage are you getting now and before. i would like to get the same setup on my cross bone

Thanks
jim

Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 AM
looneycanuk
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: TXFXSTB

Hey, Brothers. I'm picking up my bike from Mancuso HD (Crossroads) in Houston today. I spoke with Dave, who has been highly regarded on this site. We sat down and did a custom package for my bike. I already had the V&H BSS exhaust so I didn't need the SE Mufflers. They were running a special on the SE Stage II kit with no AC. So, I ordered the 103 Stage II kit with a stage 1 AC and had them put on my V&H exhaust. Dave suggested the 204 cam instead of the normal 255 that comes with the kit. I also bought the SERT. All parts and labor come out to $2,600 + tax (minus a 10% discount). From spending time pricing at other local dealorships, this was the best deal I could get by several hundred dollars. $3K may not sound like a lot to some people, but that was a tough swallow for me. I can't afford HQs kit. What I'm basically asking is did I get a deal, has anybody dealt with Mancuso HD, and does anybody run the 204 cam instead of the 255? I was hoping to tear into it when I get it this afternoon, but was reminded that I have to begin my break in period all over again...painful.
Sounds like a fair price, especially with the labor. Is your warranty still intact?

The 107" HQ bundle (cam gear + install kit, decompression valves, 107 Sport Touring pkg, and cams) that I am pricing for my FLHX will run around $2,800, plus SERT, RB-Racing Blackhole 2-1 exhaust, AC and DIY install for a grand total of something that the wife doesn't need to know about!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 PM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: crosbytx

Hey TXFXSTB i am also from the houston area from the time you dropped off your bike how long did it take them to do the 103 upgrade , and what kind of fuel mileage are you getting now and before. i would like to get the same setup on my cross bone

Thanks
jim
I dropped it off on Friday and it was ready the following Thursday. They probably could have had it ready sooner, but I told them I wasn't picking it up til the following Friday anyway.
It turned out to be cheaper than I was quoted (so I went and bought more toys with the savings!). I still need to do the tune at 1k miles, so that took some of the cost out, but without the tune and after I used my 10% discount card, I was out the door at $2,190. I'm not sure about the gas mileage yet. I'm babying it for 1,000 miles and then I'll start laying into it after it has a good tune for the SERT. The discount card that they sell is a pretty good deal. It adds a point for every $10 you spent. For the amount of crap that I buy, it adds up to free stuff pretty quick!
I told dave, the service manager, that I would tell about my experience on the forum. Tell him that you spoke to me (Ben).

[IMG]local://upfiles/58741/1AE51190A54F420D825E021BEFAD9400.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/58741/6AD3F8A2C638441A8944D69306FEBC0C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: looneycanuk

Sounds like a fair price, especially with the labor. Is your warranty still intact?
Nothing changed with my warranty. I was tempted to off a lot of the emissions crap, but decided to keep everything HD/SE.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:21 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in DFW but grew up in the Houston area. My parents are still there. I am looking into doing the 95" kit with the 204 cams. I have read on here they are better than the ones in the kit. I am not looking to dump 3-4K into an engine build, just want some more low and mid range torque. I am currently at 74hp/77tq. I would like to get maybe 85hp/90tq. Anyway, did he tell you what the benefit of the 204 cam is over the other one? I will keep these guys in mind when the time comes. I don't mind the drive for quality work.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:42 PM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

Okay, here is where i'll probably start sounding ignorant, but the reason I went with the 204 cam was because it completed the overall picture for me. My buddy has a Dyna Custom with the 88ci and big radius pipes. He has some mods done, but won't tell me what they are, and he was kicking my butt stock. I was putting out 62.9hp stock. He was putting out 69hp. When I spoke with Dave at Mancuso, I told him that I wanted to go with something other than the 255. He said that from talking to me, I would be happy with the torque off the line by the 103 big bore and the SERT, and that it would be more than enough to make my buddy eat some dust for a change. He suggested the 204 because it would give me more mid-range hp which would give me improvements both off the line and running. From everything I read, the 211 is also an outstanding cam, but it would have provided more low-range. We'll hit it hard off the line everyonce in awhile, but most of the time, one starts messing with the other (we both do our fair share) while we are already rolling. He saidthat after the tune, I could expect to be putting upper80s hp andupper 90s torque to the ground.He also tried to explain thedifference in the dyno results of the885-speed with the 96 6-speed.

Nice ride, man

Old 04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
hdben
4th Gear

Ok so I am new to this, what is "SERT" and what does AC mean or do? Thanks

Quick Reply: SE 103 Stage II Big Bore with 204 Cam and SERT