Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander or V&H Fuel Pak

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 PM
HelluvaDoormat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander or V&H Fuel Pak

Hello,I'm new to this forum and have a quick question about some add-ons for my 2008 Softail Custom. I really haven't had time to read through the forum so I apologize in advance if this is a redundant question.I recently purchased my softail a couple of weeks ago and the first couple of things I wanted to add to my bike was new pipes, stage one kit, wheels, lowering suspension and the power commander. At the dealership they had no issues with any of my options except the power commander. They said that the PC would void my Harley warranty and that they recommended the V&H Fuel Pack. Now that my special order items have come in I scheduled to have everything installed tomorrow. Last night, I was doing some research on the V&H fuel pack and found out that it kind of sucks. I called another Harley dealership in my area today, that is certified DynoJet Approved Tuning Center and they told me that if they install the PC and Dyno it, that it will not void my Harley warranty. Matter of fact, they also said that the V&H fuel pack isn't that good. Can anyone tell me if the PC voids my warranty? I have owned several bikes in the past and this would be the first manufacture that voids the warranty.
When I turned my bike into the dealer today for the installation of my pipes and wheels, I told them to leave off the V&H Fuel pack. They asked me if I was going to get a PC. I explained to them that I was and that another Harley dealer that has a dyno was going to do it. They really worked over the fact that I was doing the wrong thing. Can someone tell me who's right? Is the one dealer just trying to sell me a V&H just because it doesn't have a dyno?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:16 PM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Commander or V&H Fuel Pak

In a word...yes! What really surprises me is the neither dealer tried to get you into a harley SE racetuner. Oppinions about all of these on here vary greatly. I run the PCIII on my 06 heritage (No dyno...just a map) and am very happy with it. If you do decide on a PCIII check out http://www.fuelmotousa.com/The one thing 99.9% of us on here who do run the PCIII agree on is that there is no better place to buy it!
-clutch-

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/FBB4875F27F8418D9B9143C283F97EEC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I don't have either the PC or FP, but reading what others have said, I think that the difference is that the PC does not use the O2 sensors that you currently have. As a result, the PC runs as an open loop response system to the EFI. On the other hand, the FP uses the O2 sensors and operates in a true closed loop response system to the EFI. Therefore to get the PC tuned properly without using the O2 sensors you must dyno it. On bikes prior to 06 I think, all the EFI were run open loop so just downloading a map for the PC was good enough. Just what I have read, so I may be wrong. Jerry

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
MemphisBiker
Advanced

While I'm surprised that neither dealer tried to sell you the SERT, I'm still trying to figure out why your dealer saidthe PCIII would void your warranty and the V/H fuel pack would not. They are both add-on devices that accomplish basically the same thing, although the PCIII give you way more flexibility than the fuel pack. If you have a dealer in your area that is a Dynojet approved center, I would get the PCIII, let them hook you up with a map and start taking my business to them. In order for the PCIII or any other fuel mgt. device to void your warranty, it would have to be that item that caused the falure in the first place. The Magnusson-Moss act covers this, IIRC. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 PM
HelluvaDoormat
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. I'm going to get the PCIII installed and dyno'd by the Harley Dealer. I guess I'll deal with any
consequences when they arise.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

PCIII is awsome, they're both aftermarket, so whoever told you the fuelpack would not void and the pcIII would was blowin smoke up your ***. I don't see how the pcIII would even void the warranty if you install it yourself. they'd have to prove thats what f'ed up your bike.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 AM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

The only problem I see with the V&H fuel pak is you are locked in to calling V&H when you need to change an adjustment or TRY to get it diled in. They also won't tell you what each button does or controls. You are at their mercy.
I just installed a PCIII from fuel moto. They premapped it for my pipes, A/C and HD download. After installing it the bike runs great. Not one pop or hesitation. I was planning on getting it on a Dyno. I am going to wait at this point. It is running very well. If you go with a PCIII buy it from Fuel Moto. They have the best price, Best service, Will talk to you on the phone and give great help, will send you a map later if you change anything, At your house in 2-3 days. + They double the warrenty to two years instead of just the standard one year. It's a no brainer !

It is interesting what the dealers are telling you.
I have 5 dealers within a 40 mile radius of my house. Two are owned by the same owner, the other two are owned by the same owner. The one with the not so fancy buildingand the much reasonable pricesare the ones thatlike to tune with the PCIII. They will actually talk with you on the phone. Cool guys for a dealer. The other 4 will say it voids your warrenty and only install the SERT.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 AM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with FuelMoto, V&H pipes, Stage I SE air kit, PCIII, and man there is a difference!

Only thing I don't like are the disconnected O2 sensor wires. Is there a plug for those holes so I can remove the sensors?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 AM
BlackDragon
Tourer

I use a Thundermax with Autotune. Usees 5 wire 02 sensors rather than the 2 wire HD ones.
It is a complete replacement of the ECU. No Dyno needed and can install yourself. any changes to your motor will be automatically picked up and self adjust itself.
I bought from my dealer and would install at fist service but I installed all the stuff my self. They updated the map for me free of charge as well when my bike was being serviced.
Looked at all different options and believed this was the best alroung solution.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM
TxDyna
Cruiser

Call me stupid, but what are the prices on a V&H fuel pak...ballpark?? The PCII or PCIII??

Dave

Quick Reply: Power Commander or V&H Fuel Pak