Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rage at the fuel pump....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage at the fuel pump....

.......Not because of the price but because of a malfunctioning handle.

Pulled in to fuel up, swiped the card, selected premium, removed the gas cap and set on top of pump, removed the handle and inserted it into tank and began fueling. I ran this tank lower than normal and knew I'd be pumping slightly longer than normal. I never engage the fueling handle 100%, and pull about 50% or so. As I was fueling looking at the tank making sure no backwash would erupt, as I always do,I glanced up and over to the pump to check on the amount of fuel already pumped, looked back down at my tank and immediately shouted out loud the following verbs, action nouns, and misc remarks, WTF, GD it, (gawl dang it as we say it in Texas), Fricking Fracking.

The cut off function that normally shuts down the pump when a certain level is reached does not function and fuel is pouring and cascading over and down the tank onto the engine, tank bib, seat......I immediately chunked the handle and hose back into its cradle and reluctantly began using the 'wood chip' paper towels housed in the windshield washer bucket, praying a fire does not erupt and that I don't scar the tank with those hardazz towels.I have never had this happen before, never!

I went inside to to talk to the attendant and tell himthat he has a potential disaster waiting to happen. He did not really understand what I was talking about, I don't think he wasfrom the US , all he said was, "I call managawh, I tell him, pump need checked, you bike flooded?" I thought forjust a sec, yeah I got your flooded...haha

I give up, I try to show him what happened, run my hand under the tank, after I'd already wiped it down with the wood chip towels of course, and show him my fingers, they are soaked in fuel. "oh I call managawh, pump check today"

I am still PO'd [:@]about this, has this happened to anyone else?

I do feel better now [sm=smiley5.gif], I think......thanks for letting me share!![sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 PM
bdejong11129
Cruiser
Default RE: Rage at the fuel pump....

Saw this happen once to someone who set the handle on his car and then walked into the store. I pulled up a pump over, started pumping gas and then heard waht sounded like a waterfall. Looked over and saw it just pouring gas out the the tank and all over the parking lot. I immediately stoped my pump and went inside to tell them. The gas continued to spill out until they located the jerk in the bathroom. He ran out there, stoped the pump and was going to get in his car to pull it away when I shouted at him to stop and not touch a thing until I got out of there.

It was a reall mess. Must have been 20 -30 gallons in the parking lot.

I never trust the handles. I always watch closely.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

I have seen this happen before as well, what I can't beleive is that you actually stated you were not mad about gas prices......geez, I need a high paying job like yours..........lol..........

Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
jackusan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man! I would have freaked out watching that fuel spill everywhere. I always hold the nozzle at low flow to try and avoid that which sometimes cuts the pressure back to where the cutoff doesn't trigger. I know it is hard to restart the nozzle without getting fuel sprayed everywhere because there is so much pressure on the hoses now. You have to really be careful trying to top off after the nozzle has cutoff. I keep a microfiber rag in my fork bag so I don't have to use those industrial strength paper towels.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM
third_left_eye
Tourer

I'm always worried about that same thing happening. I always watch in the filler as I fill. I can worry about how much it costs after it's full. Sorry about your experience, hope your paint is ok.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO VENT.....it is terribly upsetting when your baby, or as my wife affectionatley calls her "my other woman" gets soaked in fuel. i had a similar situation where as the pump handle sprung a leak as i started to fuel...not only my bike but my shirt and pants got fuel soaked....i dried off during my ride but had to use the same towels you did(not my current bike, 03 BLACK road king). it did leave some light swirl marks, but they polished out when i got home

Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't believe you use the auto shutoff feature on a motorcycle fill up...............bad idea........it's just a matter of time till the gas bath happenes [8D]

Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

That's pretty lousy - sorry it happened to you -

Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bdejong11129

Saw this happen once to someone who set the handle on his car and then walked into the store. I pulled up a pump over, started pumping gas and then heard waht sounded like a waterfall. Looked over and saw it just pouring gas out the the tank and all over the parking lot. I immediately stoped my pump and went inside to tell them. The gas continued to spill out until they located the jerk in the bathroom. He ran out there, stoped the pump and was going to get in his car to pull it away when I shouted at him to stop and not touch a thing until I got out of there.

It was a reall mess. Must have been 20 -30 gallons in the parking lot.

I never trust the handles. I always watch closely.
So, if I am reading this right, instead of walking over and turning the pump off, and then letting the owner know, youleft it running and let 20 - 30 gallons spill while the owner was located?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD7585

I can't believe you use the auto shutoff feature on a motorcycle fill up...............bad idea........it's just a matter of time till the gas bath happenes [8D]
Every time I fill up, I do it like the original poster, not squeezing the handle too much, so it fills at a slower rate. It still automatically shuts off when the tank is full. I did learn years ago, that after I pull the nozzzle out, if it looks like it could take another couple of quarts, I don't try and add any more.
Tom

Quick Reply: Rage at the fuel pump....