Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Front End Wobble is getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM
v.bowen@att.net
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Front End Wobble is getting worse

25,000 mile 98 Heritage Springer front endprobably started to vibrate when an HD dealer replaced all front end bearings 10,000 miles ago. The vibration has now turned into a full blown serious wobble between 25 and 50 miles an hour. Loose hands on handlebars feels instant vibration. No hands quickly develops into dangerous wobble. Tires changed 5,000 miles ago and balanced twice. Spoke wheel never adjusted since factory. I think it may be springer steering head bearings, but do not trust dealers to do the job right (they charged me $600+ to do it wrong maybe). Everything else about the bike is great. Just replaced primary adjuster with HB 125 hydraulic, and it seems to work great. Shifting is getting a little too much clunk.

What do you think is causing this unnerving wobble?

What can be adjusted to reduce the HD shifting clunk?

It is getting bike season, and I need to correct these problems soon.

Help! Thanks,

vb

Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Default RE: Springer Front End Wobble is getting worse

3 Words
Steering, Neck, Adjustment, I had mine happen at about 10K, it was between 40-45 though, but a steering neck adjustment at 10K fixed it PERFECT!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Overcamber
Road Captain

yes as he said above steering neck bearing adjustment ..this is critical , also adjust your rockers...my buddy had approx 12000 miles and same thing on his 03 FLSTS..we changed head bearing and did the fall away adjustment as per manual but the wobble came back..we just did his rocker bearing adjustment this spring(they were so out they were sloppy) and his wobble is gone..I did mine as well (03 FLSTS) but werent that bad and had no symtoms...he also installed new tires with dyna-beads balancing agent but I dont feel that was the cure..it was the rocker adjustment in my opinion...

Old 04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
v.bowen@att.net
Stage II

Thanks Gentlemen,

I will adjust both the steering head and the rockers. They must be a little loosie goosie. Italked to a great mechanic at a non-HD shop this morning, and he told me to give the Hex bearing retainer a quarter turn tighter. I should then see what effect if any it has on the wobble and maybe take it another quarter turn if it seems to get better. I have to make a tool out of another hex bearing nut and some dowels, but since I have a Springer he said it is a good idea to have the tool anyway. Springers are beautiful, but they require a little more TLC. I will also check the spokes again. The last time I checked the spokes they all sounded about the same tone, but it never hurts to check again.

I appreciate your help.

vb

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Overcamber
Road Captain

yes that tool is a must!..good luck and let us know how you make out

Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Biggerfoot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of the tools off of eBay. I figured it was better than what I could make.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 05 springer classic no wobble yet, so I would really like to here what your solutions were

Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Jip
Cruiser

I adjusted mine with a pair of needle-nose. Tool would be nice but its not necessary. Also I had a wobble, but it was the rear spokes.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 AM
jeeplite
Intermediate

Beauty has it's price, Springer front ends need to to serviced every 2,500 miles. If you don't keep a watchful eye they can get loose and cause some wear!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM
SKT
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I own an '07 Springer Classic.

I ride the F#*K out of it and at like 3,000 miles I experienced the same thing.

I thought the damn thing was gonna fall apart. Thought about trailering it to the stealership for a second, and said the heck w/ it, I'll ride it...slow!

Got it there, and they said that the lower rockers (think thats what they called it) were extremely loose, and about to back out on themselves.

One mechanic started to ask how I ride it, when another interjected, and said look at the pipes, frame, floorboards, rear tire, etc.

Enough said...Springers are higher maintance, and not built to hot-rod, So...keep up on maintance, and take her easy (lol).

Quick Reply: Springer Front End Wobble is getting worse