Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust, no baffles, questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
incrediblah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust, no baffles, questions!

Ok so I posted this in another section as well, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can, so here goooooes....

So I got my new SS pipes from WCC the other day, and haven't gotten to run my bike with them yet because it's all apart still. They are pretty short (shorter than they look in the pic, the rear one at the straight section is about 12 inches at most), and have no baffles.

I've heard a lot of things about drag pipes, and crappy low end performance. Would these be considered drag pipes? Unfortunately I didn't really think about it before hand, but I realized that the way the ends of the pipes are cut and bent outward, there's really no way to shove any kind of baffles in there.

I was going to get the bike dyno tuned, with a PCIII and the new pipes, and I was wondering if it's just going to be a waste of money? I have to get it tuned somehow I guess, since there aren't any PCIII maps for these particular pipes that I can find.

Forgot to mention that it's an 07 night train.

Ok I'll stop rambling, I just want to know if I should be worried about shitty performance. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New exhaust, no baffles, questions!

that's going to be LOUD!!! not gonna have much back preasure either, not sure how good can you tune those things

Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
incrediblah
Advanced

I don't mind loud, and I'm not the biggest performance buff either. However, I don't want it to run like crap, or damage the engine at all. I've heard some people saying that the short drag pipes can damage the engine?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
SAS
Tourer

I seem to recall seeing coiled baffels that look like a cone shaped spring that add back pressue for pipes like this. Anyone else seen those,If I can find them I'll post the link.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My prediction is that with those short, straight pipes, you're gonna have one heck of a decel popping issue if all you have is a stock ECM connected.

You're gonna need a SERTand adyno-tune, or some long-distance patience with PCIII folks to get a good map going.

You got some serious mods there from what shows in the pic. Very nice. That slab of bacon, called a seat, makes me think you're not planning on a lot of miles for any one day of cruising.

That frame sure looks like a hardtail to me. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
incrediblah
Advanced

ORIGINAL: PoorBoy

My prediction is that with those short, straight pipes, you're gonna have one heck of a decel popping issue if all you have is a stock ECM connected.

You're gonna need a SERTand adyno-tune, or some long-distance patience with PCIII folks to get a good map going.

You got some serious mods there from what shows in the pic. Very nice. That slab of bacon, called a seat, makes me think you're not planning on a lot of miles for any one day of cruising.

That frame sure looks like a hardtail to me. Good luck.
Is it possible to get a somewhat custom map from the guys at dynojet? I was going to have it dyno tuned, but I wanted to make sure that I get some baffles, torque cones, lollipops, or ANYTHING in there that would make them not run like complete crap, before I shelled out the cash for the dyno. Just the shape of the end cuts, make me wonder if I can even fit anything in there.

And although I wish I had the bike in the pic, it's just the one from the WCC parts catalogue.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

have you tried contacting WCC to see if they have any to fit, or any suggestions?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

I would give the Torque cones a try...your definetly gonna need something!!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:30 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nostalgic07

I would give the Torque cones a try...your definetly gonna need something!!
+1 on adding torque cones to the header end. They don't cost much. I would also add some lollipops. There is a stickum topic in the exhaust forum that tells you how to make lollipops and pipe reducers in order to get some low end torque back. The pipe reducers may not fit because of your upturn at the end of the pipes, but you shouldn't have a problem installing lollipops.
Tom

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a set of streights and put 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 reducer in......total lenght was about 2".....I cut the front/back off 8" baffles right in the middle of the taper.....worked well....Just enought back pressure to keep the valves happy......

Quick Reply: New exhaust, no baffles, questions!