Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with an Open Face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Gator Harley
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with an Open Face Helmet

I went from a sportbike to a Softail Custom, so I'm used to riding with closed face helmets. I recently bought an open face one as it's getting warm in Florida and thought it would be a little cooler. However, the damn thing is uncomfortable as hell to wear. For 1, I have to strap it on so tight or the wind blows it back on my head. It's so tight that the strap hurts my jaw. Second, when I get over 50 mph the wind starts to pull it off my head and it feels like it's taking my head with it, so my neck starts to hurt after a little while. The closed face is just much more comfortable. It blocks out the wind and doesn't feel like it's coming off. Is it just something I need to get used to or is it maybe the helmet?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
seaflea
Cruiser
Default RE: Riding with an Open Face Helmet

I would say both. YOu will get used to it, but youre helmet may also be to blame. If it doesnt fit right, it will act more like a parachute than a helmet at high speeds. I wear a carbonfiber elmet and it is a LOT better than the HD helmet I used to wear. The HD helmet was heavy and uncomfortable, especially for long rides.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:22 PM
towboattrash34
Banned

the half a helmet is like a parachute.... sometimes i wear a 3/4 with a faceshield...if i think it is going to rain... i have both.. you wear what makes you feel comfortable don't worry about looking kool.... lots of harley riders wear full face. now i have a windshield which helps... i don't care what it looks like as long as i'm comfortable...i ride my own ride

Old 05-06-2008, 04:25 PM
guild
Cruiser

I agree its most likely a poor fitting helmet... What works for one in a helmet does not work for outhers... Find one that works for you!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Get you the full face helmet you like the best in BLACK and all is well . Everyone knows basic black is hard to beat . The helmets that have all the different colors/ designs look a bit odd on a Harley rider, or look into the ones that flip up - chin guard and all .

Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My helmet is a Vega, I chose this brand because they a lower profile than the HD helmets. I always feel like I havea Humpty Dumpty head with the HD helmets, they are too thick. The Vega's come in 3/4 helmets and half helmets. I have the half, but am going to buy the 3/4 as well. The fit more snug to my head and are still DOT approved. You can do a search on google to find a store that sells them. Lots of metric bike shops carry them too.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 PM
08fattoy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite is the HJC 3/4. I have the visor when the windshield is on and a clear and smoke when the windshield is off. I was told that the HJC AC-3?? is one of the only snell and dot rated 3/4 helmets (don't quote me on that). I also have an expensive Shoei 1/2 helmet that, like somebody said, feels like a heavy beanie on my head and I don't wear it. My cold weather helmet is an HJC Symax full face that lifts up. Doesn't rip your ears off.....go try them on. They all fit differently. I wear a L in one style and XL in another. DO NOT buy over the internet without trying one on somewhere.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
jglasgow110
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of those Harley riders you see with a full face, I've never worn one until lately and I really like it. I've always worn a 3/4 helmet and it seems most "Harley guys" what to wear a bucket. I ride with the visor open at slower speeds, under 60-65, and close the visor when I'm moving faster. I haven't gotten hot in it yet and the reduced wind noise is nice...I still wear ear plugs. Gotta keep what little hearing I have left intact. Don't feel like you have to wear a skull cap now just because you have a Harley...wear what works for you.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gator Harley

I went from a sportbike to a Softail Custom, so I'm used to riding with closed face helmets. I recently bought an open face one as it's getting warm in Florida and thought it would be a little cooler. However, the damn thing is uncomfortable as hell to wear. For 1, I have to strap it on so tight or the wind blows it back on my head. It's so tight that the strap hurts my jaw. Second, when I get over 50 mph the wind starts to pull it off my head and it feels like it's taking my head with it, so my neck starts to hurt after a little while. The closed face is just much more comfortable. It blocks out the wind and doesn't feel like it's coming off. Is it just something I need to get used to or is it maybe the helmet?

If you get the right helmet it won't do that so much. I took off the little screw on visor at the top of mine and it helped a lot.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
fatboymark05
Intermediate

I have been riding with a 1/2 Dot helmet for years, but this last year I switched over to a 3/4, getting old I guess. I hate to get all HD geared out, but I found and bought the HD JET II...fits great, very comfortable...pricey at $150...but over the years also found you get what you pay for in helmets...

Quick Reply: Riding with an Open Face Helmet