Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Seat Killing My Crossbones Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 AM
MrCrossbones
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Seat Killing My Crossbones Paint

Hello,

I just got a Crossbones about 5 weeks ago, "Awesome". My first new bike as I have had previous used HD's and others[8D].
I noticed [] that when I took off the passenger seat over the weekend my rear fenders paint was all scuffed up. It is the factory passenger seat that HD reccomends for the bike. Can anyone check under thier seat to see if this is happeneing to them? Or has anyone seen this?
I almost recall seeing guys rear fenders having a small sheet of clear plastic underneath the passenger seat and recall thinking to myself, "Hmm, that must be to protect the paint from the passenger seat, that was smart of HD" but I don't have one. Dealer put the seat on but didn't say anything about protecting the paint with anything before riding a passenger. Now I'm [:@]pissed!

Please let me know what you find under your passenger seats....

2008 Crossbones - "ALL" Blacked Out!

[IMG]local://upfiles/61238/5E5EECAC478C492788A0F4C044C58597.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM
SAS
Tourer
Default RE: Passenger Seat Killing My Crossbones Paint

I would go back to the stealer and bitch about them not putting the plastic down before the installed the seat!!! They screwed up so they should pay!! Dont let them get away with it!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Asphalt Cowboy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, hit up the stealership. Regardless of whatever argument they make, it's warranty.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Dinger
Road Master

From what I've seen X-bones don't come with a passenger set-up. Since it doesn't, HD wouldn't lay a plastic film protector on a nice looking painted fenderand ruin that badass solo look.

So, you must havepurchaseda passenger pillionfrom the parts department. You might try folding or cutting a microfiber cloth underneathwhen using it.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM
chazzy
Cruiser

Mr crossbones....I had that same thing happen to me. I had a passenger on the second day out on the new crossbones and that weekend I decided to take off the passenger seat and found not exactly scuffs, but marks where the seat rests on the fender. I"m bringing in my bike for the 500 mile check up this weekend and I will bring it to their attention. iN the meantime I put adhesive backed felt on the under side of the seat. Haven't tried it out yet. I think I'm going to talk to the dealer first before I put the seat back on. I think the best alternative is to put the film on the fender, but then you will be ruining the beautiful fender when riding solo.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I put the 3M clear protective film on my rear fender before putting the passenger pillion on. The film if applied correctly is crystal clear and is used on high dollar car front ends, etc. I ordered a 9 x 12 piece from Mike at Profinish, who is a member of this forum. I also noticed that the Walmart in my town also carries the same 3M film in a box with 2 - 6 x 12" pieces for less than $15. Anyway, the film has to be applied correctly or it will look like crap, so I took it down to my local window tinter and he applied it for $20. From about 3' away from the bike you can't see it. Closer you can tell their is a slight difference in sheen, but is well worth it to protect the paint job. I notice on my seat that there is only 2 high places on each side of the seat in the rear that could be problem areas. You might want to glue a piece of felt to the high spots and that might protect the fender if you don't want to go with the film.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to check mine, where are the scuffs? I did notice the grab strapp touched the fender so I took it off.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Captain America
Intermediate

There are back seats on motorcycles?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership sell the plastic cover, but I took mine off and use a leather fender bib when riding solo. That way if it marks the fender the marks are hidden under the bib.
Marsh

Old 05-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is exactly what I was looking for...I haven't put my pillion on yet..I went to my dealer and they had 2 products for the Bones, 3m tape which is precut 19 dollars, and the recommended 4 sticky squares that stick to the fender and the pillion 9 dollars. Both cheap options to save paint. I stopped at our local 3m pin striping they suggested the tape as was pointed out , lots of high end bikes and cars use them...

Quick Reply: Passenger Seat Killing My Crossbones Paint