Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big trip in month...need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:24 PM
RockerJay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big trip in month...need advice.

I realize this is not the big trip that some of you take, but for a first time rider, this will be my first big trip...(i will have rode prob. 1,000+ interstate, 2 lanes, back roads, etc beforehand...)

Western PA to Western IL. No time restraints, etc.

Anyway, i'm riding a Rocker C, getting Saddlebags this week, and think i can strap a small duffle on the passenger "seat." I'm also going to be getting a gel insert so my *** is a little more comfy, and some sort of throttle control.

Here's my question....outside of the obvious rain gear, sweatshirt, is there anything else you guys recommend that i pack for the trip? Just curious. The bike will be in to the shop here in two weeks for the 1,000 mile check up, so it should be good to go.

Thanks!!!
Love this forum,
--Jason

Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Big trip in month...need advice.

Ear Plugs, their great at hwy speeds on long trips. You will be able to hear everything except the wind rushing through your ears

Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
midnitexpress
4th Gear

my must needs are an extra quart of oil, extra pair of glasses, small tool set, map, and sun block.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I will ALWAYS recommend a small tool kit. You can find some kits online, designed for Softails, Touring, etc... You never know what can go wrong. I have 33k miles on my current bike, and I have need a tool kit once, and I am GLAD I had one. Granted it was a simple fix, but I could not continue without it. JC Whitney has a couple sets, depending on what you want to spend. The cheaper series is called Cruztools Econokit, and the more expensive is called Cruztools Roadtech. Just my $ .02!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ear plugs, misc. tools, and if you don't have a rider backrest on your seat, you will find that positioning your duffle bag to where you can lean back on it while riding will save your lower back. I rode 1800 miles in 4 days last summer with no windshield and afterwards the only thing that was sore was my butt. I didn't have any of the soreness and fatigue I get when riding my solo seat without my backrest.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM
strippedthread1
Advanced

The most important thing for me is to carry a tire repair kit. They are very small and cheap considering. I have had 4 flats(front and back). You can fix a bike tire, tubeless that is, the same way as a car. If you don't have a repair kit with you and have a flat, it can easily chew up the better part of a day to get a shop to come out and fix you on the road or haul you in to fix; some shops will not plug tires. $$$$

Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 PM
BigJohn Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Warg is on the money, if you have something to lean back on, your trip will be way more comfortable. A big sleeping bag is what I normally put behind my back. Make sure you line up contact numbers for any services you may need along the way.

Most Important Item: Sunblock

Take it easy

Old 05-17-2008, 09:36 PM
RockerJay
Intermediate

thanks guys!!!!

Awesome.... just still new to riding, but this trip is GOING to happen. For my soul, i need it.

Much appreciated.

--J

Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck to ya...ride safe...

Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Jason, I ditto on the small tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges and tool kit (you don't need the kitchen sink but just some basic tools and hexs) and definitely a tire guage and check your tires daily which will alert you to a slow leak due to a small nail or something. Definitely sign up for the $19.95 RoadAmerica road service thru HOG. Your HOG membership will reimburse you for one $50 service call a year, but the RoadAmerica is paid in full no matter how far you have to get a tow to the nearest dealership for a repair you can't handle on the road. Hopefully you won't need it, but $20 is worth the piece of mind. I have never carried a quart of oil, it seems like a lot of weight and space taken up and with the new engines they don't use any oil and there are generally plenty of dealers around that you can pick one up if needed. I also ditto the bag behind your back. When I rode the the HD 100th in Milwaukee in 2003 I had a bag behind my back that I leaned against and it was great. Packing in the saddlebags, rolling your clothes takes up less space and results in less wrinkles. I would suggest putting a garage bag in the saddlebags and then your clothes because in case of heavy rain you could end up with wet clean clothes to deal with. Have a great time and just enjoy the ride and watch out for the 18 wheelers. Generally I would not advise following them as they can throw up a tire recap and you would not be able to see it until it is too late. Jerry

Quick Reply: Big trip in month...need advice.