Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about getting a softail

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default thinking about getting a softail

sold my 1200 sportster a few weeks ago. it was not fast, but was peppy and fun to ride. looking used night trains and base late 90's early 2k softtail. will i be disappointed with the performance of a 80cu or 88cu? or should i bite the bullet and go with a newer 07/08?

i love the look of the nt and the base fxst, but if the performance is subpar i will probably just go witha new or newer dyna superglide 07/08.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
ecoli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thinking about getting a softail

Anything can be fast with enough money!!! The TC88 is a GREAT motor, not really much difference between that and the TC96. PLUS, there is a lot more out there for a TC88 than the TC96. However, I love my TC96 FXST.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
jurob
Tourer

want to keep stock reliability. only mods would be exhaust.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
NT_rider06
Intermediate

my 06 train tc88 has plenty get up and go. only have v/h exhaust on it with fuel management. will be gettin my intake soon. should give her a little more boost

Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Nitram_b4
Advanced

I got a 2000FXSTS with only exhaust and breather mods...its also Carb and I yanked the carb off and did a few mods to it.
I think it runs pretty strong.
If ya change the pipes I would also get a better breather

Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went for the TC88B, more torque, newer and balanced engine, less vibration, and the earlier ones have a carburetor. Runs great with pipes, carb jetting and air cleaner. You will pay a premium for the 96 ci engines, and they have a rep for running hot...don't know if its deserved or not.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

If you were dissapointed with the performance of your 1200 sporty, you won't be happy with any stock HD. If you want to go fast, invest in some mods, but have your wrenches and wallet handy. Was your sporty all stock? Pipes, air cleaner kit, jets (carb) or fuel mgmt system (FI) will be first step, then cams, head work, bore kit if you still need more. My friends who have the new (stock) 96 CI engines have not noticed a performance difference from the TC88B, FWIW. The six speed trans does give it longer legs on freeway, though. Keep in mind you are getting a heavier bike with the softail compared to your sporty. Go for a test ride to see what you want first.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pilgrim has it right. I also have a 1200 Sporty (wife's bike) and it is much faster than my 88TC. I came from riding sport bikes and find the Sporty to be a good compromise between sport bike and full cruiser. The TC bikes are not fast because even though they have more displacement they are pulling around at least a couple of hundred more pounds. If you want to go fast on a HD go get a V-Rod.

Mark

Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 AM
jurob
Tourer

concern is not fast, but don't want a slug. with the sporty it was a run of the mill 883 with 1200 conversion and slight bump in compression. for a harley i guess it was fast/quick. main concern is i don't want to feel like i'm on my friends savage 550. i also started on sportbikes andenjoy fast cars so i know speed, but now i need comfort with age along with looks.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

done the speed bit now have a fatboy 08 and well pleased.

it has the looks the feel and can suprise.
go for the NT less chrome and less worry about rust but saying that I wont part with my FB.

Quick Reply: thinking about getting a softail