Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary compensator bolt backing out

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:39 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary compensator bolt backing out

Hey guys I'm ususally hanging out in the Dyna forum but a have a question about a freind that has a 04 Night Train. The front bolt that holds the primary chain (the bolt that holds the compensator or harmonic balancer looking thing, not sure of the name, the Dynas don't have it, reason for the rubber mounted motor?) it keeps loosening up on him and makes a real nasty noise slapping around in there. I inspected everything and all looks good. He's had the primary cover off numerous times to tighten it up but it keeps backing out on him.

I told him to get a new bolt because the threads are probably weaker from constantly trying to torque the snot out of it and to use red locktite and to torque to 160ft lbs. Ialso stressed cleaning the bolt and shaft thoroghly but he doesn't seem to get it.I keep telling him that by not cleaning it out good with some Brakleen that all that oil in there will let that bolt loosen up. Does this sound correct?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Primary compensator bolt backing out

I know that the bolts were not torqued up at the factory right as HD issued a technical bulletin for new torque specs. Due to the bulletin, it would be best to check with one of the dealer techs to get the right specs.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Asylumcycle
Cruiser

difenately clean threads up, probably new bolt if it keeps happening that much, not sure on torque specs as I do not have tech sheet handy right now. FOR SURE RED LOCTITE IT!!!!!

Asylumcycle

Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

Thanks guys, forgot to mention it has the big bore kit, 95" or 96" and cam. Definately a lot more HP than stock. Not sure if that will affect the torque specs.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
1996Softail
Cruiser

This was told to me by a very knowlegable and experienced bike builder If you use the motor to slow the bike down instead of the brakes such as down shifting the compensator nut will losen up and cause a noise in the primary. I tend to believe everything he says and trust his trouble shooting skills so ask your friend if he uses the brakes or he downshifts if he downshifts let him know why they put brakes on the bike.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

96Softail, I ride with him a lot and he never uses the brakes. He's constantly downshifting hard and at high RPMs to slow the bike down.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
1996Softail
Cruiser

Then that is the problem if I remember correctly the manuel says not to use locktight on the compensator nut tell him to torque it back down and use his brakes to stop and he should be fine

Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
BigJohn Fatboy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1996Softail,,

First of all, dude nice ride, and yes your buddy is correct. I borrowed a friends 03 NT...I'm bad about downshifting at speed, and within a couple hundred miles, I thought I'd torn something up in the primary. Sound is ugly. He opened it up tightened it up, sound went away, but once it started it never went away, think he sold it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

Yeah it's definately a pretty scary sound the first time it happend. I don't beleive the bolt could completely back out because of how close the inside of the primary cover is to it but I would imagine it would put some excessive wear on the primary chain. When we took it apart to clean the bolt had a lot of gunk on the end of it. Don't thinkit's Locktite, maybe it's the stuff that HD puts on some of their bolts from the factory kind of like the stuff thats on pulley bolts when you get a new set.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I kind of have the feeling that I might be back here againin a few weeks. Hopefully it holds.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM
6Clicks
Cruiser

I've had a bunch of H-D's in my time and currently have an '06 Heritage Classic and an '07 Ultra. I've downshifted to decelerate every bike and car I've ever owner and never read of any reason why I shouldn't. That sucks! What does MOCO say about it?

Quick Reply: Primary compensator bolt backing out