Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider - Am I crazy - getting a Fatboy or Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:45 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default New Rider - Am I crazy - getting a Fatboy or Dyna?

Heres the scoop -&nbsp\\; just had the historical 50 year bday and want to relive my youth. Used to own dirt bikes 25 years ago and always wanted a HD.&nbsp\\; Havent ridden anything other than a bicycle in the past 25 years. None the less, I signed up for the MSF class next weekend and a friend is taking me out on his Moms 250 this evening in prep for next weeks class. After researching bikes I have been pretty set on a Dyna model until recently when I fell in love the Fatboy models. Im concerned that a Fatboy may not be a good idea for my first bike? I am very athletic, play tennis, ride my Arab horse in endurance races, snow ski... and at most times, unless Im drinking or a womans involved, Im smarter than the average bear. So, tell me, should I stick with the Dyna idea or will the learning curve on a Fatboy not be any more difficult than a Dyna? I read that the Dynas are more manuverable and that the Fatboys take a bit more to manuver... Cant test ride for obvious reasons. Even if I could, given my lack of experience, I would just be in survival mode and worried about damaging the bike instead of comparing the two bikes.

Apologies for the long posting - this is a big decision

Old 06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
harley57
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Rider - Am I crazy - getting a Fatboy or Dyna?

Go to your local Harley shop and see if you can ride both bikes.&nbsp\\; If you are interested in buying they should let you ride both or look for "demo" days at any Harley Dealer.&nbsp\\; Good luck.&nbsp\\; I would get the Fat boy but of course I am bias because I ride a Deluxe which is in the same softail family!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will have no problem with the fatboy. heavy but you don't notice it is as its centre of graphity is low and very well ballaced.
Its an easy bike to get on with.
&nbsp\\;
Go to a dealer and test ride one you will be suprised how easy they are to ride.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:57 PM
1badtc88
Advanced

i wanted a fatboy also for my first bike and didnt get it. i ended up with a 2006 street bob, its a nice bike but now that ive sold the dyna and bought the fatboy i wish i would have done it in the first place. do yourself a favor and just buy the fatboy. trust me you wont be sorry.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:05 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 1badtc88

i wanted a fatboy also for my first bike and didnt get it. i ended up with a 2006 street bob, its a nice bike but now that ive sold the dyna and bought the fatboy i wish i would have done it in the first place. do yourself a favor and just buy the fatboy. trust me you wont be sorry.
Did you read my other posts or something...too funny.&nbsp\\; I made an offer an a 06 Street Bob - didnt quite work out. Maybe for good reasons...

Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: harley57

Go to your local Harley shop and see if you can ride both bikes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If you are interested in buying they should let you ride both or look for "demo" days at any Harley Dealer.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Good luck.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I would get the Fat boy but of course I am bias because I ride a Deluxe which is in the same softail family!
Have visited the dealerships but cant ride without a license. May have a license in a couple weeks but I prefer not to spend too much time at the dealership unless I give them money. Funds are limited so I wil probably buy used.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:15 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

The Fatboy is as easy to ride as just about any other bike out there. You won't have any problems and you won't be sorry with a Fatty. Your going to love it.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
08FXSLB
Stage I

I am new here and being 53 and always wanting a Harley now have a real cool bike. I too say go for it the smile will not leave your face for a long time....The Fatty is a cool bike, get what you want, you can always buy more.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want a Fat Boy - then that's what you should get. of course, I'm biased. HOWEVER, I support one's decision to get the bike they dream of. if I could afford it, I'd get a Street Bob tomorrow..... to keep my Fatty company.
&nbsp\\;
good luck with your choice!

Old 06-14-2008, 04:28 PM
TexasFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will have no problem with the fatboy. heavy but you don't notice it is as its centre of graphity is low and very well ballaced.
Its an easy bike to get on with.
&nbsp\\;
I agree...the FatBoy is a very well balanced bike and easy to handle.

Quick Reply: New Rider - Am I crazy - getting a Fatboy or Dyna?