Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Fatboy - Frustrating Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 04 Fatboy - Frustrating Electrical Problem

Hey Gang,
&nbsp\\;
Need your collective intelligence on this one...
&nbsp\\;
04 FatBoy has intermittent electrical problem.&nbsp\\; The problem started suddenly on my return from Mertyle Beach about a month ago...stopped at a light...let go the throttle to idle, and it shut down.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;The code "bus er" was showing in the odometer window.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;When it first started, I could increase throttle RPM and the code would dissappear from the odometer window, avoiding shutdown...and the bike ran&nbsp\\;normal at speed/rpm.&nbsp\\; But sometimes now,&nbsp\\;I can't even warm up the bike.&nbsp\\; At other times it rides without a problem.&nbsp\\; Nice, sunny day yesterday and couldn't go for a ride...it would start and run for about 15 seconds...then the code would appear, and the bike would shut down.&nbsp\\; Last weekend....40 mile ride before a shut down...it restarted and got me home luckily.
&nbsp\\;
I think it may be related to the charging system of the bike (stator, regulator, etc) because the battery charge level has been&nbsp\\;lower than usual (usually at 80% or better) since the problem started.&nbsp\\; Now it charges about 30-60 minutes to reach the 80% level...full charge in&nbsp\\;about 2.5 hours.&nbsp\\; Frequently, I get the code when trying to start the bike...a battery charge seems to help at times but the problem persists and is unpredictable.
&nbsp\\;
Had the local dealer look at it...they couldn't find anything although they did witness the intermittent problem with the code and the shut down...they kept it in the shop for a few days...they&nbsp\\;cleared codes they said were related to the front/right turn signal problem I was having just before I started getting the code problem.&nbsp\\; The signal problem was a bad bulb and was fixed.&nbsp\\; The shop could not find&nbsp\\;the cause of the code/shut down&nbsp\\;problem.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;The shop said it could be a bad&nbsp\\;turn signal/security module (expensive)
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Can't trust the bike for anything but short local rides.&nbsp\\; Any suggestions before&nbsp\\;I buy a new turn signal/security module??
&nbsp\\;
Thanks all...
&nbsp\\;
AlbertG

Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 04 Fatboy - Frustrating Electrical Problem

First I would disconnect the battery, I assume you have a harness installed for the battery tender/charger.&nbsp\\;If you do remove the harness.&nbsp\\;Clean all of&nbsp\\;terminal connectors and hook it back up without the harness.&nbsp\\;The&nbsp\\;second thing I would do is, check any modes I had done to the bike.&nbsp\\;Third disconnect the front signal plug, under the tank, and see if this isolates the problem. I would also try the same thing with the rear, at separate times. I would check all of the connectors under the tank for a problem.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 04 Fatboy - Frustrating Electrical Problem

Thanks for the advice TLB.
&nbsp\\;
I was dreading the thought of removing the tank again...did so when installing new handlebars with internal wiring.
&nbsp\\;
Have there been problems associated with the battery charger harness?&nbsp\\; I did check all connections at the battery and alternator when the problem first occurred.
&nbsp\\;
I have spoken with 2 dealer shop mechanics about the problem so far.&nbsp\\; Both feel the problem is probably the turn signal/security module and recommend replacement.&nbsp\\; I would do it myself but they say it requires "reprogramming" at the dealer...I assume this has to do with the&nbsp\\;factory security system&nbsp\\;function.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So it's going back to the dealer tonight for a fix unless I hear something in the interim...
&nbsp\\;
Thanks again...
Regards
&nbsp\\;