Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting short shots on a 08 Nightrain

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 PM
raymet
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting short shots on a 08 Nightrain

I am a new harley owner as well as new to the forums and have a question in regards to changing the pipes on my 08 Nightrain. I have talked to both dealers in my area and have gotten differing answers on this. One dealer told me i hade to install the big air kit and the fuel pack or I risked damaging my engine as it will run lean. I work in the automotive industry and to my knowledge the O2 sensors in the bike should adjust the air/fuel mixture to accomidate for the different exhaust if they operate in the same way they do in cars...right or not? They also told me that if I do not install these other items my warranty will be void. The other dealer in my area has told me they are not required but recommended as when changing the exhaust out why would you not want to increase your air intake as well, but not doing so will not void my warranty. I do not want to do anythind to damage the bike but at the same time I fell that the one dealer is trying to talk me into way more then I have to do....quoted $1600.00 to put a set of short shots on... Any help would be appreciated
&nbsp\\;
Thanks

Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
savello
Intermediate
Default RE: Putting short shots on a 08 Nightrain

If you change the exhaust you need to get some kind of fuel management I have a Power Commander and the stage 1 air cleaner. The O2 sensors from what i hear do nothing above Idle but i could be wrong, P.S. the power commander comes with O2 eliminators so my bike has no O2s anymore..... And my dealer says it will not void the warranty and i installed them myself.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
wtf6316
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put on the pipes and get a Fuel pak from them also. You dial in what you have on your bike your self. Ebay has them for cheap.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Ebay... air cleaner, pC111\\;...probably cost you around 900bucks...do it yourself, 2yrs ago i changed my first exhaust and it took me almost a day, i have bought the workshop manual and learned as i went along, just installed 250 rear wheel, apes with hidden control cables, you can do it, i reccomend you take the time and learn to do things yourself, you will appreciate the bike more...just my 02cents

Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
FL DEUCE
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can change your exhaust system without having to have a fuel management system and&nbsp\\;you won't need to have&nbsp\\;it dynoed but, if you install a high flow A/C with the pipes&nbsp\\;you will need to have the bike dynoed in addition to installing a fuel management system.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
savello
Intermediate

I disagree with that, everyone I have talked to says you need to have some kind of fuel managment if you change anything, these bikes already run lean with new pipes it will run more lean. To me its not worth the possible problems down the road to not put in the PC3 or FuelPak, Get it now then when you want to add the intake you can just change up your map. Just my $.02

Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
2008 NIGHT TRAIN
Intermediate

Hi, I just last night installed my new short shots on my 2008 TRAIN. I also installed IED,s from Nightrider. Runs great, much cooler, sounds awesome and totally changed the look of the bike.&nbsp\\; JMO but the $70.00 bucks for the IED,s was best money I have spent in a long time.&nbsp\\; Enjoy your TRAIN and watch out for the cagers.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
FL DEUCE
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are new pipes going to change the AFR? Changing to a high flow AC will change the AFR but not new pipes.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
panmann
Banned

I think you need some kind of fuel management when replacing pipes. According to our sales the powercommander outsells the fuel pak 2:1 . Right now Bassani is outselling V&amp\\;H about 2:1.
Exhaust, High Flo Air Cleaner and Fuel Management outsells everything in the motorcycle industry except tires over the last 4 months.
Chuck

Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
fros502
Stage I

I am also an auto tech,and own a 2005 FI night train. I installed a SERT on my bike when I installed a screamin eagle stage 1 air cleaner and khrome werks HP mufflers. I would not perform any engine mods. without adding some kind of fuel management system. I also believe the 07 &amp\\; 08 bikes are very lean, so any mods will make that worse. Excellent chice, night trains are the coolest!!!!! good luck.

Quick Reply: Putting short shots on a 08 Nightrain