Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
magnoliarunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe Owners

Deluxe Owners,
&nbsp\\; Did any of you own a touring bike before you bought the Deluxe?
I am thinking about selling my 2005 Ultra and buying a one.
I like the idea of having a bike that will look good with or without the optional bags or windshield.
It is also lower and lighter than the Ultra.
Have you had any regrets buying one?
I have only gone on day trips and a few over nighters since owning my Ultra.
I currently have the lowers and tour pack removed and lower seat, sorta like the Street Glide.
It is easier to handle with the Tour Pack off. Not as top heavy.
How will the handling and ride compare between the Deluxe and Ultra?
Also, what add ons have you added since you bought it?
What about the Riders Essential Kit?
What is the best year model to own?
Thanks to all,
magnoliarunner

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Deluxe Owners

Wow lots of questions here.&nbsp\\; I own an 05 and am very happy with it.&nbsp\\; I have never owned a touring bike but have rented a Road Glide in the past.&nbsp\\; I was not a bid fan of the fixed faring on the RG and since I'm short I found it to be a bit tall for my true comfort.&nbsp\\; The Deluxe fits me like a glove.&nbsp\\; Did like the stereo on the RG though.&nbsp\\; You are correct that the Deluxe is more fun and tossable.&nbsp\\; It is really the Swiss Army Knife of Harleys (as all Softails are).&nbsp\\; I can load it up with bags, backrest, and windshield and road trip or strip it down and bar hop.
&nbsp\\;
Mark

Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep your Ultra and by the softail so you can choose the bike for the kind of ride you're taking. I bought a softail back in '05, and realized that for long distances and two up riding, a softail is not the best set up.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go rent one for a day. Thats the only way you will know.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good advice to go rent one, but I suspect you'll fall in love.&nbsp\\; They are beautiful, classy bikes\\; very well balanced and a fun ride for a long haul without feeling like a pack mule.&nbsp\\; The Ultras are awesome bikes, but I don't look at them and go WOW like I do for the deluxes.&nbsp\\; You can dress the deluxes up for longer trips with quick detachable bags, windshield and sissy bar with luggage rack,&nbsp\\;or strip them down for a sleeker look.&nbsp\\; You can make them look nostalgic, retro or contemporary chic.&nbsp\\; Just go to the pictures of deluxes thread and check out the variety as you'll see everything from stock pipes to fishtails to two in one arrangements.&nbsp\\; Like all the bikes, there are tons of ways to personalize them.&nbsp\\; Mine is a black and white '06 "skunk" and I've got the quick detachable windshield, HD bags, a flame chrome theme on it, 2" Rush slipons slash downs, purple LED lights, PCIII, SERT- custom Dyno map from fuelmotousa.com, Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner and fireball mirrors from J&amp\\;P.&nbsp\\; Lots of the guys have much, much more.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

My buddy has a dresser and when we travel together no one seems to notice his bike.&nbsp\\; The Deluxe is simply a beautiful bike.&nbsp\\; I did a 5k road trip last year and have another planned in a week. Add glass, bags, tour pak, fly road, camelback, tent and more and it is still a beautiful bike that is effortless to ride.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
cchart
Intermediate

As a matter of fact I did.&nbsp\\; I owned a '02 Ultra Classic up until April of 2007 when I traded it in on my Deluxe.&nbsp\\; A comparison would be virtually impossible, but I can tell you that I enjoy my Deluxe much better than I ever did my Ultra.&nbsp\\; My Ultra was awesome on trips, as to be expected.&nbsp\\; But I never really enjoyed riding it around town or on short day trips, poker runs, etc. which is the bulk of my miles.&nbsp\\; I did the whole detach thing with the tourpack, had a low profile seat, had the front and rear lowered, the small black windshield, etc.&nbsp\\; But, like I said, it never was really what I wanted.&nbsp\\; The Deluxe is back to the basics.&nbsp\\; The ultra is what it is.
&nbsp\\;
My Deluxe has been exactly what I've been looking for since I bought my first HD in '96.&nbsp\\; I've put 13" apes on mine, I have the detachable windshield and rider's backrest but don't have any of the other stuff.&nbsp\\; I took it from VA to Florida and back in October last year and it was awesome.&nbsp\\; I threw a T-Bag on the back and took off.&nbsp\\; The seat was comfortable, I had an MP3 player w/head phones and had a great time.
&nbsp\\;
I don't miss my Ultra one ounce.&nbsp\\; This was the best decision I've made, motorcyle wise.&nbsp\\; Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 PM
ahaviland
Novice

+1 on this one.&nbsp\\; Have an 06 RKC for myself and an 08 Deluxe for my wife.&nbsp\\; Big difference in the ride, would not take a long trip loaded with bags on the deluxe, but it is great for the day trips and riding around town.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
The Worm
Cruiser

Traded a RK for 08 Ultra Anni.Model in October. Great bike but not for everyday riding. Bought an 08 Deluxe yesterday what a difference for around town. Riding is fun again. And boy does it have great lines!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Hangfire1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fell in love with the Deluxe the first time I saw it, the fact that it was a bit lower just sealed the deal. I pick mine up first thing in the morning, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight!

[]

Quick Reply: Deluxe Owners