Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dearler service frustration

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
dwilzen1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dearler service frustration

I dropped my 08 night train off at the dealer a week ago to have new exhaust, bars and cables. Well, they still haven't finished it. They keep telling me it will be ready then when I call about it they keep saying another day. I am starting to get aggrevated and am wondering if they even know what they are doing. Is this normal for harley dealers to be this way. The bars are internal wired and I know that takes awhile to do but its been 7 days and still not finished. Should I be concerned with the work their doing? As long as its done right I suppose I can wait but keep having thoughts of them screwing it up. Anyway, just wanted to vent a little.
&nbsp\\;
Dan

Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
static1
Advanced
Default RE: dearler service frustration

It shouldnt take that long . I&nbsp\\; just had pipes,sert ,stage 1&nbsp\\;, 500 mile check up(springer front end)and fluids changed took less than a day. I&nbsp\\; just switched to a new dealer cause the last one (which is 5 minutes away) took&nbsp\\; 5 days to do a 5000 mile service on my lowrider and when i get it back the clutch was adjusted so you had to let it out the whole way before it would engage. its hard to find a place that has a really good experienced crew that you can trust.. hope u get it back soon..

Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds to me like they have more work than people to do it, sorta like the car business where I work

Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,
&nbsp\\;
Yeah that's common with the dealers around here. You drop it off and hope to get it back when it's busy like this. That's why I try to aim for service work to be done in the fall and winter, when you can drop it off and get it back the same day, or even wait for it.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

A week for bars, cables&nbsp\\;and pipes is TOO LONG...even in a busy shop...I could install those things in half a day...I'm guessing they put your bike on the "back burner" for other service tickets...which is bullshit...next time you should get a manual and do it yourself...bolt on's like that 'aint that hard to do and by doing it yourself you become familiar with your bike...AND you save $$$...AND you're not waiting a week...AND you know it's done RIGHT!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer is messing with you as so many of them do. What you described is only 4-6 hours worth of work. This is easy stuff to do on your own!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck
i always goto a local wrench
hes better,cheaper,has more knowledge
he does it on the side but its worth the wait
God blessed me w/ 2 scoots no more waiting
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds about right to me... for a dealer to take that long... Not that is should, but that is what you should expect...
&nbsp\\;
Indys are not much better... I do it all myself and get it when I expect it....
&nbsp\\;
Charlie D.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
dwilzen1
Intermediate

I guess I should have seen this coming. When I dropped the bike off there was another guy in there complaining about his bike being 3 days past what they told him. When he was leaving he looked at me and my girlfriend and said buy a honda. I even asked the guy at the service desk if they were backed up and he said no. I think I will go somewhere else next time or maybe try to do some of the work myself. Hopefully get it back tomorrow....will post pics and review of work done. As long as it is done to my satisfaction I can deal with it. If work is shabby they will hear about it.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:39 AM
grumpez
Cruiser

I have never worked on a bike, just hot rods, and I've been able to do both of the things you talked about myself. Pipes are easy, I've done both my own and my wife's bike. I just did my bars this weekend, and though it took a while, it wasn't that difficult. The biggest pain was getting the connectors off the wires, and now that I know how to do it, that's no big deal. And these were internally wired, that isn't hard at all. Spend the $60 and get the manual, that way it's done right and when you want it.

Quick Reply: dearler service frustration