Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Big Radius, easy to install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:38 PM
CrazyTrain68
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H Big Radius, easy to install?

I want to install a set of V&amp\\;H Big Radius pipes on my '05 NT.&nbsp\\; Since the HD dealership is so $$$, I thought I would install them myself, then take the bike in to the deal for the jet kit, etc.&nbsp\\; Are they easy to do???
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Also, other than the jet kit, what else needs to be done to the bike after the install?&nbsp\\; Anything I can do on my own?
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Thanks!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Jzabel
Tourer
Default RE: V&H Big Radius, easy to install?

Take your time with them...easy, just be patient.
&nbsp\\;
Be sure to wipe all the fingerprints off before you fire it up - it'll burn the prints on there.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Get a good penlight and pick and be sure you remove all of the old gasket from the heads.&nbsp\\; After a few years installed it blends in with the metal and without a sharp light and pick you will never be able to pluck it out.&nbsp\\; On my '99 Softail, I was sure that nothing was there until I started picking at the where it should have been.&nbsp\\; Be sure to torque the pipes to the head before torqueing the muffler ends (just leave them loosely attached until the head connection is correct).&nbsp\\; You probably will need a swivel socket to be abe to torque the head connections.&nbsp\\; Use blue lockite on the pipe supports.&nbsp\\; Wipe them down completely with alcohol before starting the engine or you will have fingerprints engraved forever in the chrome.&nbsp\\; Just take your time and you will be ok.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Biker_Boats
Novice

You can download the installation instructions from V&amp\\;H's website. Read them over and made sure you have the right tools. if you get half done and your missing some tools you will hate yourself. Also just read the steps carefully to make sure it is something you think you can do.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
CrazyTrain68
Road Captain

Thanks for the great&nbsp\\;info!!
&nbsp\\;
Jzabel, beautiful bike you have!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
FL DEUCE
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can install them yourself. Just be patient as some of the others have advised you. Hardest part is getting the pipes positioned properly. Tighten the head bolts and rhen tighten them again after you have ridden the bike a few miles.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Road_Hawg
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HAha.... I just went thru the same dilemma! Either pay the stealership $$$$$$$ to do it, or install my exhaust myself. And I'm no wrencher. I just asked around with Buds and people online and did it myself. Luckily my download map I had was equal to the pipes I installed. A few things these members have already said is oh so true!!!
1. check the old exhaust gaskets carefully and watchout!!! They're quite sharp!!!!
2. WIPE DOWN the exhaust after you install it really good.
3. re-check the bolts after a few miles. I didn't have a torque wrench.
4. Use the blue loctite on the brackets. It comes in a red tube... but it's the blue loctite

Took me about 1 hour to remove my old system and install my new exhaust. And It was the first time I EVER did this.

Good Luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Barberg
Cruiser

The allignment is critical. Torque the head bolts per the V/H instructions and after about a 100 miles torque them again. Pay special attention to the way you are instructed to put on the heat shields. The clamps can be a real pain if not positioned correctly.( Make sure you can get to the clamp screws from sitting next to the bike from the upper of the pipes.&nbsp\\; Do not tighten the heat shields completely until you have them lined up correctly.&nbsp\\; Set the pipes on a towel or a sheet and mark thier correct position before you install the pipes.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 AM
Jzabel
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Gators05NightTrain

Thanks for the great&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;info!!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Jzabel, beautiful bike you have!!!
&nbsp\\;
thanks...she's goinng thru a change right now...new paint job.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\; Hopefully by end of the summer she'll be done and I'll post up the pics.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM
CrazyTrain68
Road Captain

Thanks again for the good info guys!

Quick Reply: V&H Big Radius, easy to install?