Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker rear axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
kylant
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker rear axle removal

guys,

what size allen does the rear axle on the rocker require? i was at the dealer yesterday and they were all a bunch of idiots. no tool available and the service guys did not know what they used to remove it. they had 4 rockers on the showroom floor, so they have obviously wrenched on the rear axle during set up.

please let me know. i need to move my wheel slightly

thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Rocker rear axle removal

Not sure what size it is, but don't blame the dealer guys. They may be dumb, but odds are they haven't needed to touch one yet. They come setup from the factory with the wheels on them already.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

just wondering why you need to move the wheel?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:38 PM
hispeed
Advanced

You have to remove the wheel to put on the axle covers. I'm taking mine off after I get the maint manual to clean up that clunky rear end.&nbsp\\;Pics of mine after some additions.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
deadduck357
Tourer

3/4. Also have to remove rear can.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
09BlueRoadKing
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to remove the rear wheel to put on axle covers????? I thought they would just slip over the axle bolts, let me know how it goes I was in the process of getting them.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 AM
kylant
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Not sure what size it is, but don't blame the dealer guys. They may be dumb, but odds are they haven't needed to touch one yet. They come setup from the factory with the wheels on them already.

the wheels come from the factory mounted and set up? the belt tension is accurate? i doubt all the rockers they had on the floor were set up perfectly and did not need any belt adjustment. i'm sure they have wrenched on the rear wheels.

i need to adjust the belt slightly. it is too tight after installing the lowering kit.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 PM
hispeed
Advanced
Default installing axle covers...

I got the kit for the covers and it clearly says to use the manual when installing the covers. You have to remove the axle for sure. I am considering making a jig for the bike to sit in to ensure everything lines back up properly. I'll let you know how it comes out. I got the bike jack recently to make things easier...

BREAK:

kylant, I would check the book before making any adjustments to the tensioner. The bike has an auto tensioner on it that doesn't require any adjustments. I don't know if the lowering kit specifies it but I would check with the stealer..

Last edited by hispeed; 08-24-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM
kylant
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hispeed
kylant, I would check the book before making any adjustments to the tensioner. The bike has an auto tensioner on it that doesn't require any adjustments. I don't know if the lowering kit specifies it but I would check with the stealer..
not the primary belt tensioner, the drive belt. the service manual clearly says how to adjust the drive belt. i even got the tool from the HD shop to accurately measure the belt "deflection." my wheel was out of alignment as well. all is good now

the axle allen size is indeed 3/4". it was a pain in the a$$ to find the right tools

Old 08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

how do you know if your wheel is out of alignment to begin with, i am going to be taken mine off to install covers, if it is out i would like to get it corrected

Quick Reply: Rocker rear axle removal