Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windscreen Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 PM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windscreen Advice

I've misplaced the thread that talked about cleaning your windscreen. Somewhere in that thread I read that the screen shouldn't be higher that your line of vision. Is this correct? I have recently purchased my Deluxe and as I didn't have my license at the time, my buddy rode it home for me. He doesn't care for windscreens so he asked if I would remove it for him. Well, I've put it back on this afternoon after reading about the height and it is completely covering my line of vision. I sit right in it and the view of my garage looked weird. Should I / can I have it cut down? Or is this height the norm.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:41 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Memphis Shades advises a top edge height at about the bridge of your nose. They say that you should normally look through it, but be able to look over it if it is obscured by rain.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Romey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be looking over the top of your windscreen. I can tell you on a sunny day all you will see will be the reflection off all the chrome. Even worse getting caught in the rain at night can be very dangerous due to the headlights of oncoming cars will make prisms off the rain drops on the windscreen. Found this one out the hard way. Figuring out where to trim your windscreen to can be a pain. I stuck a piece of electrical tape on my windscreen and then adjusted the height of it while out riding until I was looking over it. I feel this helps you get the height correct. Sitting on the sidestand in the garage is not going to give you the correct height, because your not going to have the same posture as when riding. I think there is a how to thread about trimming your windscreen on here somewhere. I wasn't brave enough to do it and had it done locally. Hope this helps you out.

Romey

Old 08-10-2008, 11:54 PM
American Heritage
Banned PITA Troll

i look "through" mine. if you look over it, doesnt that defeat the purpose ?

Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Default I found this link

I not sure I'm brave enough to take a jig saw to my brand new windscreen, but I've learned a bit more about it. Seeing over the screen is important as the purpose seems to be to send the wind over your bucket, keeping your chest warmer. Ya, I can't imagine how awful this would be to have to look through with headlights coming at you, especially in the rain.

Check this out...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_312103/tm.htm

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Romey
Cruiser

That is the how to guide I was referring to. You might call your dealer about having it cut. I'm sure they could refer you to someone who does it. You might also check at some glass places to see if they will do it.

Romey

Old 08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
murd
Road Warrior

Thanks Romey, I think that would be best. I can just see me with the jig saw srewing the cut up. I'm about to go out with it on and see just how intrusive it is.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the source I used for deciding on windshield height. Sitting in a normal straight up position I can see the road 88ft in front. I took 1.5" off my 20.5" windshield and I'm much more comfortable now. I can still hunker down below it if I want but I like looking over the top. Others prefer to look through it.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...eld/index.html

Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by American Heritage
i look "through" mine. if you look over it, doesnt that defeat the purpose ?
If you're looking thru- it, it's to tall! With the correct screen properly adjusted, you should be looking over the top with no wind in your face.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:01 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

fwiw - I just installed one and Im not even sure I like the darn thing. I find it distracting... and I do miss the wind in the face thing... Trade offs I guess. Good for going on freeway or 65+ mph, no good anywhere else...

Looking over it is definitely preferred by me. And, the wind does go over the bucket even though the shield height comes to my chin...

Quick Reply: Windscreen Advice