Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Close Call

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
mt325
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Close Call

Well yesterday my girl and I had our first close call. After a great weekend of riding and coming up from the Jersey Shore we are back up in North Jersey. We proceed through one of many tolls on the Parkway. She goes through first, then as I am accelerating through the plaza when a Muthaf*ckin SUV decides to pull across 7 lanes on traffic to make an exit. He pushes my girl over, she hit her horn and pushed off the SUV, I was accelerating out of the plaza and didn't see this due to the divider. She naturally came in front of me. We collided; I almost spilled in front of the other lane with cars pulling out. I got my foot down popped up rode straight to a safe spot, got off my bike in under a second and proceed to lose my ****.

In all I twisted my knee and my girl’s ankle is bruised. Minor damage to her bike and mine is fine but what a frigin rush. If I went down I would still be in jail for almost beating a man to death. We are always very alert when approaching toll plazas and never thought much when departing them; however, this was a real eye opener.

The worst out of it all is the fact that my girl later says that she wants to sell her bike now. I promised to buy her whatever new mirrors she wants so she has reconsidered for now.

Safe riding to all of you out there.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That kind of stuff sure gives you a wake up call! Tell your girl to give it a rest for a week or so. She may change her mind about selling. Glad your both OK!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm glad to hear that the injuries are minor...I hate riding on the GSP on the TP. We make Jersey Shore runs almost every weekend and we usually take the Pine Barrens as far as we can.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I knew the toll plazas around there and especially closer to NYC sucked even for driving a pickup, but I hadn't considered what it might be like on the bike.
Glad you both made it out relatively unscathed, that kind of stupidity could have caused something far worse.
You can tell your GF for me not to give up riding for one fool. Except for not shooting the SOB who bumped her she did very well. Many lessor riders would have frozen or locked the wheels up, dumped the bike and gotten seriously hurt as a result.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

hey bro. glad to hear you are ok. I'm a trooper here in Jersey and i work in the northern part of the state and let me tell you how aggravating it is to me when people carelessly change lanes (especially at the toll booths). Two weeks after I picked up my scoot I had a close call on a local road where a soccer mom pulled out in front of me while talking on the cell phone. If i told you some of the things i've seen people do out on the roads you wouldn't believe half of them. Hope your girlfriend reconsiders.

stay safe

Last edited by Alain; 08-11-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
FXDSE2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Close Call

My wife and I were finishing up a long day on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Roanoke Virginia (A very beautiful road for you city slickers) when a SUV pulled out of a dirt access road and hit a HD Ultra broadside. Tore the fender off of the car and pushed the Ultra about 100' sideways. I passed through as they had the tow trucks there...nothing good could have come out of it for the driver and passanger. With the damage done the car had to have hit the Ultra at 40+ MPH when it should have entered the roadway from a stop. $#!t happens in the country as well as the city. City riders have idiots in cars around them, he just have deer looking to mate with scoots here. FXDSE2

Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear you guys are OK. I'm from Mass but I was just in NJ/PA last week. We took our son to Sesame Place and I do have to say, there's a lotta traffic at those toll booths. Even in our SUV people were changin lanes in front of us like they were Nascar drivers.

I hope the wife reconsiders.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

F#@king cagers. Happy the injuries were minor. Get your girl back on the bike and into her comfort zone as soon as possible - remind her how great it is to ride.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
QWeeks
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Gods were looking over you both !

Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 PM
grzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like I'm gunna provide an alternate view ... if the GF has had a fright and lost confidence then i don;t see the prize for encouraging her to get back on. we all know that it is merely a matter of time before you actually come off. a good accident is one where you can walk away. I say let her make up her own mind. I have a few female rider friends and I think that after falls the survival instinct can tend to kick in - way before us dumb males.

Quick Reply: First Close Call