Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes for 08 Fat Boy??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM
learfxr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes for 08 Fat Boy??

I'm looking to buy my first HD this week and have my eyes set on a 08 Fat Boy in Denim Blue.

My question is about getting pipes, or slip ons. I want something with some decent sound, while not being so loud that my wife refuses to ride. I really like the look of some pipes out there, but figure they are too loud for her. I'm thinking about getting the HD slip ons. Any down side there? My mom has them on her Dyna Low Rider and they are decent. A little quiet for my tastes, but if it keeps my wife happy then it makes my life easier. We've been married 5 months and I'd like it to last longer than 6 months

Old 08-17-2008, 02:13 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you mean Screaming Eagle slip ons, your wife's gonna love them... almost no increase in sound from the stock. why not look at Rush slip ons? they come in a variety of baffle sizes, from the mild to the loud.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
learfxr
Tourer

Thanks. I'll look into the Rush pipes. Never heard of them yet. Completely new to HD's. My last bike was a Suzuki GSXR1000. I haven't bought the bike yet and I'm ready to start modifying it

Old 08-17-2008, 04:50 PM
hellfish
Tourer

I'm getting one soon as well and have been doing a lot of research on exhaust systems and slip-on. Right now I'm torn with getting Rush 1.75 slip-ons added or just going all the way and getting Vance & Hines double barrells put on. The big shots look good to but they might be a bit loud for my tastes. I think I'm going to go with the double barrells with big city thunder baffles.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 PM
learfxr
Tourer

I was looking at the Vance & Hines site and like some of the pipes. Do they require work to the fuel injection for a set of VH pipes? I also like the big shots staggered pipes. I know some of the used bikes at the dealer have pipes on them, think I'll ask them to fire some of them up tomorrow

Old 08-17-2008, 05:36 PM
hellfish
Tourer

I don't think they require that or a re-map, but i could be wrong. I'm no expert, just going on reading up alone.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Defender
Intermediate

If you're looking for something a little louder than stock I'd recommend you stay away from the Screamin' Eagle slipons. I put some my '07 FXST and was very disappointed in the sound. I don't have any first had experience with the Rush slipons, but an article about exhausts that I read in American Iron recently leads me to believe that those might be a better choice.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:52 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

I have a 2008 Fatty and I got a V&H Big Radius 2 into 1 on it. Beautiful pipe and a great rumble. Has a deeper rumble than the V&H BSS or LS.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Cotto
6th Gear

I have an '08 Herritage and went with the Vance & Hines Big Shots. They sound great but are not too loud for the rider/passenger. I paid a pretty penny after new intake, Power Commander and Dyno. I love the sound, they look great and I did get slightly better performance especially in throttle response. If I could figure out how to get my photo downsized to upload it, I would.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Guitarman52
Intermediate
Smile

I just put on the 1.75 Rush slipons on my '09 heritage and they sound great..... no remap.

Quick Reply: Pipes for 08 Fat Boy??