Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help fast! Throttle cable routing on a stock Nighttrain/standard....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help fast! Throttle cable routing on a stock Nighttrain/standard....

OK, how are the throttle cables routed on a stock night train or softail standard? I cant for the life of me figure out how they were originally. Im not sure if im gonna need longer throttle cables or not, but i cant remember if the wrap around the front outside of the tank or not or go underneath it, or not at all etc. Pics would be highly appreciated!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:14 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

They leave the bars, then loop down around the outside of the forks and UNDER the tank...then they follow the frame to the FI or carb

Old 08-19-2008, 10:06 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by FXSTI Guy
They leave the bars, then loop down around the outside of the forks and UNDER the tank...then they follow the frame to the FI or carb
OK, outside of the forks, in front of the forks or behind, and when they follow the frame, I assume you mean the main square backbone tubing? If so, to which side of the square backbone tubing? The horn/choke side, or the intake side? Pics? Pics would mean so much here.......

Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, didn't get a photo but the throttle cables on my '05 Standard run from the forks down on breather side of the fork tube, over the front rocker box to the carb. Hope this helps.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

They go down behind the fork tubes to the tunnel opening in the front of the tank. Then down the right or throttle side of the backbone to the carb or throttle body. If you look under the tank there are a couple of plastic cable holder loops molded in about 3" back and another about 12" down the side for the cables to go through. The throttle cables go through the loops above the wires. But just make sure you have enough length so that you don't have to put any sharp bends in it or it will bind. Otherwise you should be fine.

This is the only pic I have of the area and as you can see everything is in pieces. But you can see loops the cables route through along the upper part of the plastic piece under the backbone and the throttle cables in the lower left corner going down to the floor. I was rewireing the bike and replacing the cables at the time.

Hope that helps, just sorry I didn't take a pic BEFORE or after everything was in pieces.