Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Front End. Tell Me About It

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
speeder75
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Front End. Tell Me About It

I have never riden a bike with a Springer Front End. How do they handle ??? What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of them ??? I am considering a 09 CVO Springer.
THANKS

Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned one back in the day. I loved it. It handled slightly softer but that was part of the experience I loved. I'm still contemplating cost and trouble to install a springer on my Heritage.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 PM
deadeye1340?
Cruiser

Springer Advantages: not many, the springer front end IMHO hangs around because it still makes money for Willie G and crew. It looks and feels old, a kinder word would be nostalgic. It takes one back to the good ol days. You should definitely try and ride one, to compare to modern era of oil/air shock.
Disadvantages: hardly adjustable, I don't think they sell different spring rates for them ( I could be wrong) either. It is not a progressive spring either, so it'll feel mushy. Air/oil forks are much more tunable/adjustable.

LOng story short, if you want the best all around ride possible, go conventional. If you like the old school feel to your scoot, then get you the springer. Just my 2c.

Last edited by deadeye1340?; 08-21-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
static1
Advanced

ya little softer like keno said. nothin bad about them except they need to be serviced a little more often then standard forks. i love mine. i like that new cvo springer, 240 back tire looks sweet...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get one, you will love it.

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (10-08-2023)
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

I got one on my Cross Bones. I must admit, it is a bit different. I think "softer" is a good way to describe it. I would not be doing tight twisties with it IMO. However, I love the looks and I don't think it is that much different. Watching the springs go up and down is awesome, but it is distracting! lol

I say go for it. I had a chance to buy an 07 CVO Springer and almost pulled the trigger instead of my Cross Bones. Tough call!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by speeder75
I have never riden a bike with a Springer Front End. How do they handle ??? What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of them ??? I am considering a 09 CVO Springer.
THANKS
Springer front end has no advantages. Nostalgia only. If you love the look, go for it. If you want the best HANDLING Harley front end, go with their inverted Marccuchi setup.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Springer is a great handling front end. It is however one of the heaviest front ends that HD makes, so in slow turns (parking lots, etc) you can tell it is there. Once up to speed, the handles great. I live only 75 miles from the famous Deals Gap (318 curves in 11 miles) in East TN and I can verify that the springer handles the curves better and smoother than my previous '99 Softail Custom or my '03 Ultra. Plus the old school look gets a lot of attention everytime....plus it is entertaining watching the springs. At interstate speeds if the highway has a bumpy surface you might get a little bit of pogo action, but it certainly isn't distracting or adversely affects the handling. Jerry

Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by tnharley7
Springer is a great handling front end. It is however one of the heaviest front ends that HD makes, so in slow turns (parking lots, etc) you can tell it is there. Once up to speed, the handles great. I live only 75 miles from the famous Deals Gap (318 curves in 11 miles) in East TN and I can verify that the springer handles the curves better and smoother than my previous '99 Softail Custom or my '03 Ultra. Plus the old school look gets a lot of attention everytime....plus it is entertaining watching the springs. At interstate speeds if the highway has a bumpy surface you might get a little bit of pogo action, but it certainly isn't distracting or adversely affects the handling. Jerry
Great handling and "heavy" dont really go together. And comparing it to the outdated 41mm wideglide setup isnt saying much either. The 41mm is a **** poor front end on its own........I've ridden Harleys with the Springer front end. It will do the job just fine for the typical passive HD rider, but to call it a great handling front end is a bit of a stretch.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those that Have them Love them... those that don't..... well there are a lot of assumptions

If your buying a Cruiser for the handling your shopping at the wrong store...

If you are looking for the Best Looking Front End on a Motorcycle... buy a Springer!
a little more maintenance, a little extra time cleaning the bugs out of it ... but when you see one on the road... you know its the Genuine Article

Quick Reply: Springer Front End. Tell Me About It