Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only idiot that..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Am I the only idiot that..........

........forgot to take the disc lock off the rear brake caliper. For those of you that haven't, the bike rolls only about a foot before the lock hits the swingarm and then proceeds to bend the bejusus out of the disc.
Yep, it's in the shop getting a new disc and brake pads put on. I had to ride it home 40 miles like that. WOW!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 AM
EvEr34
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep you're the only idiot!!

Kidding...i'm sure it's happened to many.

Last edited by EvEr34; 08-24-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbenw7p3c
........forgot to take the disc lock off the rear brake caliper. For those of you that haven't, the bike rolls only about a foot before the lock hits the swingarm and then proceeds to bend the bejusus out of the disc.
Yep, it's in the shop getting a new disc and brake pads put on. I had to ride it home 40 miles like that. WOW!
.......Most likely. You should have bought the dinette set brother.........

Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

Now thats security!! It fokks up ur ride if u don't unlock it!! A good reason to not use that particular security device... And u r not the only one!! But luckily I saw it done b4 I tried it!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 AM
shootdr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Korbenw7p3c

Yep, if you are going to use one put it on the front and use the nice brite orange cord.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:58 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

I did it at the HOG Rally at St Tropez a couple of years ago trying to show off with a speedy exit.
Luckily there was an on site Harley workshop and they fixed it the same day. Expensive pain in the *** though.

I've now got an alarmed disk lock which sounds a soon as the bike is upright.

Last edited by bfreesun; 08-24-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: edited to add expensive
Old 08-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I bought the bright orange lanyard to attach to the clutch lever. It is pretty much impossible to forget.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Personally I dont know why ppl waste time with "wheel locks" its a known fact that the majority of stolen bikes are just literally tossed into the back of a large truck or van. A professional theif will not waste time trying to hotwire or ride off with a bike, they will be a small crew of people and will haul the bike off. They will then deal with the other "theft deterrants" in the privacy of some off location garage or chop shop.

Best bet is a basic alarm with motion sensor and a pager function. It will also be enough(along with the steering neck lock that comes with all bikes)to keep all "amateur" theifs at bay. And amateur theifs are few and far between. The only other deterrant worthwhile IM is a good woven heavy duty chain lock that attaches to an immovable object anchored to the ground or large building. Something that cant be cut through quickly.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

It happens a lot after a few beers!
That's why I don't use disc lock

Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by shootdr
Yep, if you are going to use one put it on the front and use the nice brite orange cord.
+1. That's what i do, and have never forgotten to take the lock off before riding away/.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Am I the only idiot that..........