Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum - Running pooley - Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 PM
vping
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum - Running pooley - Need help please!

Bear with me while I spill this out. Not a professional wrench but so all my own work myself on my MG's. Bike repair is newer to me but still a little foreign.

Bike is a 2000 Softail. I think the carb has been re-jetted but not 100 % sure. When I start my bike, it barely runs. I was having a "burping" problem and replaced both diaphrams in the carb. Still had the burping problem which I can also describe as a hiccup when I roll on the trottle. Asked a local Harley mechanic who told me that either the intake or exhasut Manifold gaskets are leaking so I replaced both. When I reassembled all is still not well and prbably worse. I have the idle screw turned all the way in and it hardly runns and still runs crappy. Front cyl runs hot, rear is colder. Checked plugs and rear is fouled and front is not. Cleaned plugs and swapped them. Runs the same way. Screamin eagle plugs and Screamin eagle II exhaust is the only other thing I can mention. I can get it started and give it gas but it will not stay running and while I am giving it gas it runs really poorly. I have the jet 1.5 turns out. Also when I give it gas and let off, the the RPMs stay high for a second and then go down.

I have not been on her in close to 2 years because of a knee injury and surgery. Now that I am able I really want to get back on her and cruise.

Can you help or do you need more info ?

Thanks
Vince

Old 08-26-2008, 07:56 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you getting fire in rear cylinder?

I suggest you post your problem in the "Engine/Intake..." section of the General Harley Tech forum

Old 08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
vping
Intermediate

I think so. The cyl is warm but not as hot as the front. The plug wires are Glow job neon and are both firing the same. These came with the bike but I took them off when I got the bike a I did not trust their performance. I pu them on just to see if it would run differently. I assume that there is fire to the plug.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the idle jet is clogged up. did you clean the carb? I work on cars but sounds like a fuel / carb problem fuel mixture?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
vping
Intermediate

Yes. When I had it apart it was spotless. How can I unclog the jet, take it apart again? I can't see this being complicated to fix I'm just not sure what to look for first. Even if I screwed up putting back the In,Ex gaskets, she should still run.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

Given what youve described, I would not assume rear cyclinder is firing. I would verify that.

When you say the plug is fouled... how so?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
vping
Intermediate

Sorry for the name of the thread is should be Poorly. Front plug is a nice brownish and the rear plug is wet and black. How should I test to see if it is firing? Do I assume the plug wire is bad or what?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

I would check/change your plug wires. Check condition at coil. A faulty coil can also cause the condition you describe, even improper plug or gap. Check your specs.

The way I check for spark on a plug is I thread the plug into a threaded brass fitting which I have a 3 foot insulated #14 wire soldered to with a ring electrical stacon on the other end which I then bond to ground. I put a dummy plug in the cylinder head and then crank it a few and look for spark. A little unconventional, but it works.. lol.

Other things that can cause one plug to foul could be worn or broken rings in that cylinder, worn valve guides or seals.

Like I said, I would post this in the engine section where very competant motor heads and techs visit.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
vping
Intermediate

Would you see broken rings or worn guides or seals on a well cared for bike with 7000 miles?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vping
Would you see broken rings or worn guides or seals on a well cared for bike with 7000 miles?
Well I would not think so. But you did say you hadnt been on it in two years. Was it sitting for two years? Where was it stored? Heated or damp/moist? Or was it maintained or started occasionally? If it was stored for a long period of time without being cranked, did you prepare/lubricate cylinders before cranking to start?

I would start with spark if proper procedures were followed for storage and removal from storage. Actually, I'd start there anyways.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

Quick Reply: New to Forum - Running pooley - Need help please!