Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboards Falling off my Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Floorboards Falling off my Deluxe

My left floorboard keeps coming loose on my 07 Deluxe. I've re-attached it a few times but after a week or 2, it loosens up again. Seems the board is attached to the metal plate below it by 5 rubber nipples that extend thru 5 holes in the plate. I just talked to one of the techies at my Harley dealer and he told me this is a common problem with Deluxes. The rubber nipples are too soft and they allow too much play. So after a while they work themselves thru the holes. 2 days ago I had to grab my left board before it came all the way off and became road trash. The techie agreed this is a design flaw with Deluxe floorboards and the 09s use the same design. Anyone else see this problem and if so, any recommendations on how to fix it (short of buying new boards)? I'm thinking of some super glue under the nipples. You'd think after a few complaints HD would have redesigned them by now.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:10 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thinkin' out loud here.......... where the nipples (mmmmm... nipples) come through the plate, would it be possible to put a good sized washer with a smaller hole than the plate.......... and pull the nipples through the plate and the washers???

My mind's picture of this is lookin' pretty good! Let us know.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife's nipples came out too. The ones on her Deluxe. She layed it down in the garage one day and the floorboard came off.

I put it back on but since then it keeps popping off. I was thinking maybe I hadn't pulled the nipples down far enough or had missed one but now your question has me wondering if maybe there's a design flaw.

If they come off again I'll give crawdadaz's idea a try. Sounds like a good place to start.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 08-27-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

DELUXE FLOORBOARD ARE A PIECE OF ****!!! The best thing to do is replacethem with aftermarket ones... I know more money but is a safety thing for me, what if they come out on the freeway? what if they hit a car? or worse if they hit you or your bike.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Romey
Cruiser

I've had the same problem with my left side floorboard. It has only happened once. My boss noticed it hanging off one night when I pulled up at work. He rides a Goldwing so he is always ribbing me about HD. Makes it hard to argue when your floorboard is hanging off. I like the washer idea mentioned by CrawdadAZ and might give that a go. I'll post up on what I come up with.

Romey

Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
murd
Road Warrior

My left board popped off as well when I had my minor mishap. Took me a while to get the nipples back into their holes. Kinda struck me as a wierd way to attach, but hopefully it stays on.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Swap them out with some fatboy pans and new inserts. nobody sells replacement inserts for the deluxe

Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I changed mine out and the stock ones are in the attic. I wanted the insert to match the other things on my bike. Swap out your pans and inserts and it will go away.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master

whaaaat?

Originally Posted by JROCKER
Swap them out with some fatboy pans and new inserts. nobody sells replacement inserts for the deluxe

Old 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

My right floorboard kept coming loose cause my bad leg would not let me clear it so I loosened up the bolts and no more problem!! Try a little glue under it and ur problem is solved...

Quick Reply: Floorboards Falling off my Deluxe