Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softtail front wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
DECON BLUE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softtail front wobble

Does anyone else have a wobble in their handlebars on decel on their softtail?? I get a slight wobble around 35-45 mph on decel only. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Softtail front wobble-100_0532.jpg  
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 PM
botlefedpony
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just went throught that over the weekend with a 06 Night train. The stealer adjusted the fall away, checked all the front spokes, the final fix was a new front tire..........it started at 48 on decell and went all the way to 39-40 cleared up after that. now all is good!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM
charliea
Cruiser

I had a speed wobble one time on an other than harley at 115 mph came on just like that! When that happen you have to instantly change the center of gravity of the bike, like hop on the tank.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

There's are a number of things it could be as botlefedpony described some checks in his post. Get it checked out though as it could become a serious safety issue brotha!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
poor white trash
2nd Gear
Default wobble

I've had it. Went away with new tires. But know it's rearing it's ugly head again. When decelerating from appx 40 down to 30.

PWT

Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 PM
poor white trash
2nd Gear

bike is 2002 flstc.
PWT

Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try raising your front tire pressure about 6 pounds. I did that on my Deuce and it cured the front wobble.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Have you tried adjusting the tire pressure up or down a few pounds? I've found my front end is sensitive to small differences in tire pressure and will cause wobble at the same speeds you described if not enough pressure. Ensure you are using tire makers recommended pressure. The pressure settings in the manual are good for the stock tires but may not be right for other tires.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:39 AM
showm
Cruiser
Thumbs up

i just had the same issue...just got it fixed. in the past ive had a '00 train, '05 glide standard, '90 heritage, and currently have an '02 heritage. no wobble except for the '02 i have now.

the '02 was a friend of mine's but he only put about 125 miles on it the last three years cuz he bought an '05 road glide. when i was test riding it...i immediately felt the deceleration wobble (hands off the bars around 40-45 or so) but did not know it was called that at the time. so, i used the handy dandy search engine on here.

-after i bought it, i checked the tire pressure. 20 pounds front / rear probably from sitting. i inflated the front & rear to 36 pounds each...still had the decel wobble.
-tires were not dry rotted (avon venom-x's) as he kept it on carpet in a heated garage (only a couple hundred miles on them).
-no signs of cupping either.
-couldn't be the spokes cuz he'd replaced the wheels w/h-d mags
- balance prob??? maybe

so, after researching on here my best guess for my particular situation was that it was going to be the neck bearing. i took it down to my local bike shop that i deal with (not a h-d dealership). they were TOTALLY COOL with my situation. after telling me they were booked til after labor day, the front guy got with a mechanic (former h-d mechanic) who agreed to look at it real quick. i think he did the fall away test on it and then decided to adjust the neck bearing and I THINK some kind of pivot bearing or something like that. when he brought it back out he said what he did would have either fixed the problem or made it worse.

luckily for me, it totally fixed it. i can now pull my hands from the bars at 60 if i want and coast through 50-40-30-20 and so on with NO wobble whatsoever. the guy told me he had called h-d on this before and their answer was "tell them not to take their hands off the bars"...totally unacceptable if you ask me.

anyways...it was my neck bearing and best of all - it only took him about 10-15 minutes and they did it TOTALLY FREE!!! i went back with some cash a few days later just out of gratitude but they would not take any. VERY COOL. as we all know, that would have been atleast an hour's worth of labor at a dealership and probably a week's wait to get it in.

good luck in your situation.

Last edited by showm; 08-28-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 AM
White-Trash
Tourer

Tighten the steering head nut.

Quick Reply: Softtail front wobble