Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXSTC headlight shaking too much

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 11:25 AM
More Chrome!
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXSTC headlight shaking too much

Is anyone else getting aggravated with this??

My 08 FXSTC has one of the rubber motor-mount assemblies in the stock headlight. This thing shakes like a leaf, even at a stoplight. The shop says that's because the rubber mount is too darn weak, but HD won't accept the obvious fact that it's a design flaw. I'm hounding customer service now, but could use some help! If any of your buds give you a ration of crap for the "bouncy" headlight, call customer service at 1-414-343-4056 and complain. Maybe we can get a recall started. At night, it's hard to focus on any road signs 'cause the jitter makes them look like they are flashing.

I can replace it on my own, with any one of the nicer HD lights or aftermarket companies. But why should I pay $300-450 for a design flaw. Call it in guys. HD only fixes/replaces something when a bunch of riders complain.

thanks !!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, not changing mine. It makes me more visible and besides, the shake is not even noticable on high beam for some weird reason. I too was going to firm it up or swap it out the first season, but cages just plain see me coming and I'm not about to **** with that.
Ron

Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Metal4God
Intermediate

Yeah it drives me crazy as well, Its one of those things you would never think about being a problem. I have had people say to me your headlight is about to fall off. I plan on changing it out this winter.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
HybridJohn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Sorry, not changing mine. It makes me more visible and besides, the shake is not even noticable on high beam for some weird reason. I too was going to firm it up or swap it out the first season, but cages just plain see me coming and I'm not about to **** with that.
Ron
I thought it was intentional for that very reason.
I was also told They did it to give it that old school look.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

The rubber mounts are weak. mine gave way after 5k miles. Simple fix. used 3/8" gas line to make my own spacers. tightened them up no bounce, nice and solid. $2 fix. oh and the rubber isolaters are not a replacement part, you have to buy a whole new housing to get new isolaters.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Ron
I also would consider the shaking light a plus, as far as visibility to oncoming traffic.
Tom

Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Django696
Advanced

I just removed the light from the housing, and tightened the rubber mouints a turn or two. You need 2 wrenches. I have no more bounce now..

Old 08-30-2008, 08:27 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrspringer06
The rubber mounts are weak. mine gave way after 5k miles. Simple fix. used 3/8" gas line to make my own spacers. tightened them up no bounce, nice and solid. $2 fix. oh and the rubber isolaters are not a replacement part, you have to buy a whole new housing to get new isolaters.
Actually another way of Hd taking your hard earned money. These rubbers are a dime a dozen and many styles exist. Here's just one supplier.

http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=J5
Ron

Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

never thought of the fact of it being rubber mounted it would shake like that. i have a 90 and the speedometer shakes, its rubber mounted.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the head light out of the housing and just tightened down the bolts that go through the rubber mounts. Made it a little hard to get the head light ring back on but it did stop the problem. And YES it is a problem. You may be seen better at night but what the heck you don't go bonkers with the street lights flashing like so many strobe lights.

I had friends call me and complain about me following them down the street. Said it distracted them really bad and it was hard for them the drive their "cage" in front of me. They were complaining about the street signs flashing reflected light.

Too each his own but I opted for stopping the shake. Now if I could only get the high rpm shake out of the 96B motor.

Quick Reply: FXSTC headlight shaking too much