Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed on handlebar wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed on handlebar wiring

Just got me a new set of handlebars and I'm trying to remove the old bars. Everything is going well except for getting the wires out of the old handlebars. The service manual doesn't explain how to do this (or at least I have seen where it does).

Is the best approach to just cut the wires and pull them out of the old bars? Or, do I take a small punch and punch each of the wires out of the connector and then put them back in later (can that be done???)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

The stock bars shouldn't have the wires ran internally, they should just be clipped to the bars. Don't cut the wires unless they aren't long enough for the new bars. You need to pull the fuel tank, unplug them and remove the wires from the connector AFTER making a diagragm of where each wire is in the connector. The remove the wires you just pop the orange cap out of the connector and use a small pick to push the lock tab for each wire inside the connector and slide the wire out. Run the wiring through the new bars, install the wires in the connectors according to the diagragm that you made earlier and you are in business.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

On the Rocker the wires are run inside the handlebars. I have the gas tank pulled and I've disconnected the wires at the harness. And now the harness end is to large to be pulled back up through the handlebars.

I think my answer is still to take a small pick an push each individual wire out of the harness end (AFTER I make my diagram)?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep!
make sure that when you draw up the diagram that you will make sense in a few days... I just took a few pictures....
Also when removing the controls make sure you put a piece of cardboard in between the housing and brake lever...

Everyone tells you to use a pick... I use a safety pin, cut off the sharp tip and went to town

Last edited by Cheesecake; 08-29-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

Yeah, gotta remove the wires from the plug. Didn't know which bike you had. You got it.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you may be able to take the wiring out of the controls and fish it out that way.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Big Pappa and Cheesecake thanks a ton for the replies!!!

Hopefully, one last question. I just want to make sure I'm jamming this pick in the right hole.

When in look in the barrel of the harness end I see 8 copper pins looking at me about a 1/4 inch long and right next to each one of those pins there is a small hole. Is that small hole where I stick the pick and then pull on the backside wire to pull it out the back?

--Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
rubiconMike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
you may be able to take the wiring out of the controls and fish it out that way.
I looked at that but there doesn't seem to be a good way to get them out of the controls without cutting the wire and I don't want to do that unless there is no other way.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

Don't know If the "rocker's" wire harness is different...but, on my 07 deluxe, the wire connector that holds the pins has a primary lock and a secondary locks, before you can pull the pins out!! Do a search, I know there was a link posted before!!

Take pictures of the harness for remembering the wire sequence.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
shad1340
Advanced
Default handlebar wiring

If the plugs under the tank are the same as on my 07 Heritage, they will be Molex plugs. They do have two locks, a primary and secondary. I believe that it is the secondary??? that is pulled up about 1/8" from down inside the plug, then I used the pointed end of a large paper clip, inserted in the small hole just below the pin until you feel it "click", then pull wire from plug. Once you get the hang of it, all wires can be removed in matter of seconds. I just installed 14" apes and did not want but one solder splice on each side. Ended up being a very clean way to install. Shad

Quick Reply: Help needed on handlebar wiring