Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offset or moving brake pedal out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 PM
toyking23
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offset or moving brake pedal out?

My wife just purchased a 04 Fat boy, and she is 5' 2". She has trouble with her calve hitting the air filter which reduces the amount of foot that contacts the brake pedal which is an aftermarket large brake pedal.

My question does any one manufacture a brake pedal that is offset setting it further out to the side, or has any one modified the brake pedal to go out wider?

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I see on the HD website they have a bunch of large pedals. Have already checked them out? There are two pages. Here's a link.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US
If there isn't anything there that will do, perhaps an aftermarket parts shop can find another pedal that WILL work or I'm certain a custom shop can fab up what you need.
Good luck.

Last edited by megawatt; 09-01-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:19 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by toyking23
My wife just purchased a 04 Fat boy, and she is 5' 2". She has trouble with her calve hitting the air filter which reduces the amount of foot that contacts the brake pedal which is an aftermarket large brake pedal.
I had the same issue with my 02 WG (I have a very short inseam). I did 2 things to make it work for me;
1) replaced the stock pedal with a wider one (she's already done that part)
2) Adjusted the pedal closer to me

... then, there's actually a 3rd component - you just have to kind of get used to it.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 AM
toyking23
Cruiser

The pedals from HD other then some being wider, which she has, aren't wide enough. Surely there is some company that makes one with an outward bend into it. When it comes to my wife and her bikes I want to do everything I can to keep her happy.

Thanks for your replies, and hope some one has a great solution for me.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Toy... I haven't found one anywhere that will physically bring the pedal farther out from the bike like I want (and obviously, your wife does too). I was thinking of going to a machine shop and having one made.

*Maybe*, you can just bend the pedal she has (or get a shop to do it). I don't know if you need to heat it. I tried bending mine, but my vise is mounted to a workbench that isn't very heavy or attached to the floor, so I just ended up moving the bench.

The other thing I'm thinking about is that the *real* problem is the air cleaner sticking way the hell out there. I've been somewhat digging around for maybe a low profile cleaner, or even consider something that would move it forward

Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 AM
toyking23
Cruiser

midnitevil, please keep me informed on what you finally end up doing.I am going to keep looking around and hopefully something will show up.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 07:51 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Be careful trying to move the pedal outwards or using a wider one on the stock arm. Putting the center of pressure outboard of the pivot point will put more offset leverage on the pivot bearing and arm. The bearing isn't much of a problem as long as its properly greased up but will begin to bind if it isn't. The arm itself may not be able to handle the extra offset torque load and flex reducing the pressure in the master cylinder and brake effectiveness.
A better alternative is to find or make a bracket that will move both of the stock pedal assemblies back a couple of inches like those used by the taller guys to move the pegs forward, just in reverse.
I don't remember where I saw it, but someone around here made up a set just like that for his bike. Maybe if you look around with the search function you can find his write up.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Best thing to do is get an offset air cleaner(they do make em)assembly or an aircleaner like a forcewinder where the AC can cover is entirely removed altogether.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 AM
hdfxcw
Cruiser

Have you thought about using spacers to move the whole brake pedal bracket out from the bike? I used a H.Ness bracket to move my controls 3" forward, the bracket also moved the controls out about 1/2", so maybe you could space them out and find longer mounting bolts.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
SoftTailTim71
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if the problem goes away if she tries sitting closer to the tank.

If that works, get her a new seat that puts her **** closer to the tank.

Quick Reply: Offset or moving brake pedal out?