Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new bike????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:36 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time for new bike????

I have a 2000 Heritage with 5500 miles on it. I bought it in July with only 4000 miles on it. The bike is very clean and pretty much stock....SE slip ons, SE A/C, and a little chrome here and there.

I am in the process of getting a list of everything I would like to replace on the bike.....wheels, suspension, new tins for paint, bars, chrome......

The wife looks over my shoulder and asks "Why in the world are you going to buy all of that stuff for that old bike?"

I answer "Because I want to change things so no one in town has a bike just like mine."

Her reply "So just go buy a new one and sell that old one!"

So I guess since this is my first Harley, and several of you have been in the same boat, what do I do? I know I want a Heritage, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one I have, except being 9 years old???

Let me know what you have done, or wish you would have done.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:35 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

EFI is nice...but that's my younger generation opinion though because a lot of riders still prefer carbs. There are many other advantages to owning a new ride and the factory warranty is the first one. Also, the new motor is bigger and has a 6 speed tranny plus the new bike will have paint that hasn't been exposed to the elements for the last 8+ years. So, my opinion is that you buy a new one. Go shop around and ride a few - there are a lot of good deals floating around right now (from what I read/hear).

Old 09-07-2008, 04:41 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Buying a new one won't make it look different than any other bike in town. If you had a new one, would you still be shopping for "....wheels, suspension, new tins for paint, bars, chrome......" ? If so, I'd say keep the bike you have and start ordering parts for the mods you want.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
new motor is bigger and has a 6 speed tranny plus the new bike will have paint that hasn't been exposed to the elements for the last 8+ years. So, my opinion is that you buy a new one.
I am really not going to mess with the motor or tranny any time soon. This one runs great just as it is. And for the paint on this one, it is MINT! You ever hear of a garage queen, this is it. Besides, I have full intensions of buying all new tins for some paint.

Is the warranty affected with modifacations???

Old 09-07-2008, 04:59 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deadeye
Buying a new one won't make it look different than any other bike in town. If you had a new one, would you still be shopping for "....wheels, suspension, new tins for paint, bars, chrome......" ? If so, I'd say keep the bike you have and start ordering parts for the mods you want.
+1...

Besides 5500 miles is like new....

Charlie D.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One word: Gotsaggybags. Or is that three words? Keep the Heritage and make it your own.

http://www.gotsaggybags.com/

Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Yeah Gubdog, Gotsaggybags is on the list.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

Considering how rebuildable Harleys are, there is no reason to ever replace one unless it is totaled in a crash or there is something new out that you just have to have. You can rejet a carburetor for a small fraction of the cost of remapping a fuel injection system and most problems with them are fixable on the side of the road. You just can't clean out a broken transistor like you can a floatbowl.
Keep the old one and make it the way you want it. If you get a new one, you'll end up redoing it anyway.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

You sound to me like your perfectly happy with the bike you have. I will add my opinion as well. Keep it. It's a perfectly good Heritage with really low miles. Mine is an 07 and I am just under 10k already.

That's an evo motor in yours isn't? I cannot seem to remember my years anymore. If so.... U got the lope. What more could you ask for.

I say customize away.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Guitarman52
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me, I would keep the old one. The 6 speed tranny is nice, but it wouldn't be nice enough to convince me to buy a new one if my present bike was in as good as shape as yours.

Quick Reply: Time for new bike????