Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Jesse_the_kid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dyno

Just dynoed my softtail again and I'm very dissappointed. 85 hp and 95 tq.
I have not found a Harley that can beat me from a roll-on. I was expecting 100 and 100. Last time two times on the dyno, the bike produced 84 hp and 102 tq. I have installed bigger cams, had the heads ported, bigger carb, roller rockers, and the numbers didn't change. Any ideas as to what is going on with my bike.
I removed the air cleaner and the numbers went to 91 hp and 96 tq.
I know dynos are all different but I spent alot of money on performance changes and the bikes is faster than before all the mods.
Sorry I'm rambling.

The details
95 cubic inch
44 CV screaming eagle carb and intake
Jim's roller rockers
Ported heads-bigger intake and exhaust valves
2-1 hooker exhaust
Forcewinder intake
Dyna ignition

Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

With a 95, it sounds about right. Most 96/Fi with stage 1 puts out 79-82hp, as you see the torque is pretty good. You never get the same result on each dyno run, just an average. To me it is more important how it rides on the road, know what I am saying? Take it easy!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default dyno tricks

To get bigger numbers on your dyno you can do the following, just like some people who produce these larger than life.
1) over-inflate the rear tire
2) run cold air directly into the carb/EFI
3) re-adjust the dyno
4) You get the idea

Why not just tune the bike to produce actual performance or have your kid draw a graph with crayons and put the numbers you want like I see other shops do. From what you are writing above, you have indicated you have a for-real tuner who knows what they are doing. Go back to them and ask them how to achieve the numbers you wish. I think they can suggest which components are needed to be changed. This is what I have learned from experience. Imposable numbers or numbers out of parameters are usually just that. 103 CU inches and 150 HP? Without knowing your circumstances and details, I hope you understand my point, I may be wrong so be your own guide. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Jesse_the_kid
Advanced

The dyno tuner does have a ton of experiance and he builds 90% of the bikes in the area. He did almost the same build on a Fatboy, same cams and head work, carb was different. And got 102 hp and 102 tq. He was couldn't understand the difference in numbers either. Combintion is key also, I'm assuming that my combine is good because I have can walk away from a friends bike that dynoed way higher. He can ride and it was from a roll, so it was a fair run. Removing the air cleaner concerns me that the forcewinder is holding me back. On the dyno you don't receive the ram air effect that the intake is designed for. But 7HP just by removing it, tells me that I need a new air cleaner.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM
hogcruzen
Intermediate

i wont the hp / tq you guys have . i have a 80" evo with a little work . went to myrtle beach and found speeds performance plus and it dynoed at 83 hp & 90 tq . i wont a bigger motor ,,, i wont the power you have .

Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Forcewinder is a known cause

Originally Posted by Jesse_the_kid
The dyno tuner does have a ton of experiance and he builds 90% of the bikes in the area. He did almost the same build on a Fatboy, same cams and head work, carb was different. And got 102 hp and 102 tq. He was couldn't understand the difference in numbers either. Combintion is key also, I'm assuming that my combine is good because I have can walk away from a friends bike that dynoed way higher. He can ride and it was from a roll, so it was a fair run. Removing the air cleaner concerns me that the forcewinder is holding me back. On the dyno you don't receive the ram air effect that the intake is designed for. But 7HP just by removing it, tells me that I need a new air cleaner.
Forcewinder is a known cause of loss of power. You have prooved that for your self. we never use these for just such a reason. They look cool as does a large tire. Only problem is you go slower. $250 ~ $590 to go slower DU?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Gee, just find a machine that will spit out the numbers u want, problem solved.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:39 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by Jesse_the_kid
Just dynoed my softtail again and I'm very dissappointed. 85 hp and 95 tq.
I have not found a Harley that can beat me from a roll-on. I was expecting 100 and 100. Last time two times on the dyno, the bike produced 84 hp and 102 tq. I have installed bigger cams, had the heads ported, bigger carb, roller rockers, and the numbers didn't change. Any ideas as to what is going on with my bike.
I removed the air cleaner and the numbers went to 91 hp and 96 tq.
I know dynos are all different but I spent alot of money on performance changes and the bikes is faster than before all the mods.
Sorry I'm rambling.

The details
95 cubic inch
44 CV screaming eagle carb and intake
Jim's roller rockers
Ported heads-bigger intake and exhaust valves
2-1 hooker exhaust
Forcewinder intake
Dyna ignition
"BIgger cams, bigger carb", even head porting doesnt garentee better dyno numbers. In fact many times you can hurt your numbers. Cam selection needs to be CORRECTLY MATCHED to your bikes other parts(namely heads,intake,exhaust,compression ratio etc), your riding habits etc. Most people should not even buy cams until that have a basic fundamental understanding of cam design. The CV 44 carb is known as a "dog" carb(sluggish throttle response compared to Mikuni carbs)and couple with that "all show" intake setup your not allowing ur engine to breath well, you didnt list what cam you have, you didnt even list what was done to your heads, their cc volume, valve size etc. BUt to be honest from the look of your setup your dyno numbers are typical and the tq isnt bad at all. You should post the sheet though so we can see the dyno curve.

I do have to question who suggested those parts tho, a 95" motor should be running something like a Mikuni 48mm carb setup and a large NO NONSENSE high flowing K&N air filter assembly. Even the exhaust is questionable, hooker is not known as a hi performance exhaust for the Harley platform.

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 09-07-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
tpolstc
Cruiser

Maybe you bought the wrong kind of bike,Try different manufacturer.I here some of those rice machines will give you more than 100+ hp..

Old 09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
hogcruzen
Intermediate

force winder is what i have on my s&s , i thought it would be great , big k&n , big elbow . what should i get ? i would like 90 hp ,, now 83 hp . should i change and to what. thank you in advance .

Quick Reply: Bad Dyno