Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security.....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security.....?

O.K. gang, I'm throwing this out to get some ideas for "ingenious" security measures taken to protect our bikes. I don't live in a "bad neighborhood", but I have a 2 car detached garage, about 20 feet from my house, that has been broken into twice in the past 5 years. They got tools and small **** , but the first thing every morning, I'm looking at the locks. Two pad locks on the door and the garage lock itself. Pitbulls are out, wifes got 2 fur covered s#*t factories. Claymores and tripwires attached to propane tanks would wake up the neighbors. So, any one?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
HybridJohn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motion activated floodlights work pretty good...

Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I Fu***ng hate thieves !!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HybridJohn
motion activated floodlights work pretty good...
+1 on brotha HybridJohn's motion activated floodlights. Another thing you might look into are motion tripped monitors. Never used one to know if they work good or not but another idea to chew on.

http://www.drivewayinformer.us/di-us...-alert-faq.htm

Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

NRA stickers on the garage door might help deter a few thieves.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ADT monitored alarm signs and stickers are a great deterrent.

You could always cover the Harley with a Honda Goldwing cover.....

Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think a good idea is to buy a ROTOR LOCK and put it on your REAR BRAKE ROTOR....(i say this because someone could still roll the bike pretty easily with the brake locked on the front rotor....two guys just put bike in neutral and pick up front since the bars will likely be locked anyhow....so, i always put the rotor lock on the rear, i lock my bars, lock the ignition up)

also, harley makes a plate that you can bolt down into concrete and attach a heavy chain from the floor plate to your bike frame....its pretty cheap

also, on my garage i cover the windows so nobody can look into the garage and see my bike before breaking in

Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bar the walk-in door from the inside and a lock on each side of the large door (you can pull one side out maybe). Motion detector inside with a paging system (they won't hear it but you do on the pager). Locking devices on the bike itself are goo but are merely deterents to theft. A dedicated thief will circumvent anything you can put on (had a buddies that disappeared in Hawaii-they picked it up to steal it and threw it in the back of a car or trailer).

Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Two burglaries of your garage in 5 years sounds like a bad neighborhood. If they can get into your garage they can get into your house. I'd invest in an alarm system for both the house and garage.

I have a hardwired system I installed myself over 15 years ago. Very dependable. Lot of companies cater to diyers and it's really not that hard to do. Mine has central monitoring but if you have trusted neighbors you could opt not to go that route.

I also have a Dakota wireless montoring system on a detached shed. It's a motion detector that triggers a tone inside my house if anyone goes near the shed. Mine is on the outside but it's for interior use also. You can install up to 4 detectors on it. Downside of this route is it's only works if you're home. This would only set you back a couple hundred as I recall.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:14 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Kuma, my 110lb security system, frikin rocks! No one has ever taken a thing from my property! Despite him being extremely protective, he does not mess with the cats or my horse. So, get a "real" dog and train him to live with your wifes dogs.

Attached Thumbnails Security.....?-kumas-head-2-.jpg  

Last edited by KumaRide; 09-08-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Security.....?