Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my 10k service today, what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:30 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Did my 10k service today, what a difference!

Slow at work today, I decided to do my 10k service. Change oil as usual, check all the critical fasteners, all nice and tight. I also change the primary case and tranny oil. Amsoil for the primary case and Redline shockproof gear oil for the tranny. The primary chain was really loose, I did the adjustment. Took it for a spin, what a difference! Shifting is smooth as butter, I don't have that clunk anymore shifting to first gear at a light, I bet the chain adjustment did the trick. Now I own a brand new bike, totally happy.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've done the 1000 & 5000 myself, & love that "did it myself" feeling. Not that difficult, & I know it was done RIGHT! Don't that give you a warm & fuzzy feeling wrenching your own bike, & saving all that money is a define bonus.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

After reading you post again, I get the drift you are already a "wrench", right?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i wish i had the know how to do more then bolt on some custom parts. i would love to do my own oil changes and services, i'm just so afraid to F*CK something up that I rather pay the money and have those ***** at the dealership do it.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by Alain
i wish i had the know how to do more then bolt on some custom parts. i would love to do my own oil changes and services, i'm just so afraid to F*CK something up that I rather pay the money and have those ***** at the dealership do it.
Alain, no question that you CAN do it yourself. You're not going to f*ck something up. If you know someone who does there own changes & services, have him do it, watch what he does, & roll you own from then on! By the way, invest in a service manual, well worth the money.

Last edited by streeteagle; 09-11-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do all my own service on my two bikes. Just get the Service Manual and the Fix my Hog DVD and it is real easy. A little time consuming, but it gives you a much better knowledge of your bike and the satisfaction of doing it yourself...and saving a lot of money.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Alain, no question that you CAN do it yourself. You're not going to f*ck something up. If you know someone who does there own changes & services, have him do it, watch what he does, & roll you own from then on! By the way, invest in a service manual, well worth the money.
hey brother, how do i get my hands on one of those service manuals ? from the stealership?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by Alain
hey brother, how do i get my hands on one of those service manuals ? from the stealership?
Yeah, that's where I got mine. Might do a google search to see if it is available cheaper elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The service manual is a HD part and is available from the dealers and costs about $50. You can order it from Zanotti's or Chicago HD for 20% off. The SM is very informative giving detailed info on the periodic services required...and even has pictures

Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did my 1000 myself, took it in for the 5000 due to time constraints (right before a trip). Changed my fluids at the the next 3000 mile interval. Will do the 10000 myself. It does help you get to know your bike. 128Auto, I'll be PMing you when it comes time to check my primary adjustment.

Quick Reply: Did my 10k service today, what a difference!