Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Coverup

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:05 PM
samielowe
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Coverup

Need a little help. Picked up a few items for the bike with one being Harley's rear axle cover. Interesting how many things wont fit an 08 Fatboy. Most items say 01 to 07 and 08 has it own separate item number and the design is a little different. I'm guess the swing arm design or the axle size on the 08 is different somehow.

My question is, I get home with my parts and find out the box and packaging has been open prior. It looks like everything is there except the installation instruction.

I have figured it out for the most part with the new washer replacing the stock washer, but i have no idea where the 5 small chrome washers go? Maybe something on the exhaust?

Thanks in advance....

Old 09-12-2008, 06:29 PM
samielowe
6th Gear

Anyone?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:47 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Whats the part number? There are two available swingarm axle covers available from Halrey for the 08. I had the scripted one but sold it. A clip fit under the axle nut and the cover had a few screws that held the cover onto the clip. The newer one doesn't have any hardware showing that I can see. If you call the dealer they can print you up the install instruction right from the computer, maybe even email them to you. They did that for my windshield.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
samielowe
6th Gear

I have the ones with the clip... The clip slips under the axle and 3 screws hold on the cover. The kit came with a washer I'm guessing replaces the stock washer because the clips take up the space on the axle. What i can't figure out is what the 5 little 3/8 washers are for?

I changes exhausts so I can't really tell if they have something to do with the exhaust.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by samielowe
I have the ones with the clip... The clip slips under the axle and 3 screws hold on the cover. The kit came with a washer I'm guessing replaces the stock washer because the clips take up the space on the axle. What i can't figure out is what the 5 little 3/8 washers are for?

I changes exhausts so I can't really tell if they have something to do with the exhaust.

Thanks for the feedback.
Mine was the scripted cover. Had two chrome screws for each cover and if I recall, came with 4 locking washers which went behind the cover - between the cover and clip.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Axle Coverup-41575_08_m_220ca.jpg  
Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM
plane
Road Captain

samielowe, I think I have the same cover as you and I didn't have any washers in my kit. All I had were 2 clips, 1 big washer, 6 small socket head screws to hold the covers on, and the actual covers.

I had to make a special tool so the left side clip didn't rotate when I torqued the axle nut. Actually the tool is nothing more than a 10 1/2" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe that I stand on end under the protruding end of the clip. When I bear down with the torque wrench the clip stays put.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
samielowe
6th Gear

Thanks guys... The washer thing is a mystery. I"ll make the trek down to the Stealer and see if I can get some answers. On the box there is a pix of the contents in the box and it shows 2 chrome covers, 2 clips, 1 washer, 6 chrome screw and the mysterious 5 washers. The washers are chrome plated, or so they appear.

Thanks, Sammie