Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlini Flying Apes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's actually the opposite from my perpective..lol. gangsters bend (bulge side) in the bar is inward toward the rider. Flying bend (bulge side) is away from the rider. I like them both but favor the flying apes. I don't think the Gangsters look good in anything less than 16".

Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM
jamesheritage
Intermediate
Default More Gangster Apes to look at.

Got the 18" and love'em

Attached Thumbnails Carlini Flying Apes-0929081105a.jpg   Carlini Flying Apes-0929081105.jpg   Carlini Flying Apes-0929081104.jpg  
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Went to Carlin today and got the 14" Fly'in apes and diamond risers. For anyone considering these bars I will tell you that they are beautiful. Be aware that they run approx and inch taller than there spec size. BUT... that said, it all depends on which Fly'in Ape model you get. There are two. One is a stepped bar to fit a standard 1" diameter riser and the other is non-stepped. The stepped bar, although also a fly'n ape, is completely different in looks. Comparing the two, it is 2" wider at the top and bottom . The bottom is also more squared... much like the Wild1 bars. It also is about 1 1/2" -1 3/4" taller than spec size indicates. They both have the nice curve though.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:34 PM
ALRydr
Stage II

Good discussion for me to read. I'm planning on ordering the 14" Gangsters tomorrow. I'm putting them on an '08 Sringer SE. My only concern about these was the lack of knurling. Anyone had any problems with these slipping? I'll be going with the 1.25" non-stepped since my bike has the 1.25" risers already.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALRydr
Good discussion for me to read. I'm planning on ordering the 14" Gangsters tomorrow. I'm putting them on an '08 Sringer SE. My only concern about these was the lack of knurling. Anyone had any problems with these slipping? I'll be going with the 1.25" non-stepped since my bike has the 1.25" risers already.
"the lack of knurling" my thoughts exactly, a set of $350 USD apes w/o knurling??? with that much of a lever (I have a set of flyin´ 18" ers waiting for time to be installed) I seriously hope it is not an issue...

Mimo.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 PM
ALRydr
Stage II

Let's hope not!!!!!!! I've searched and searched and I can't find anyone complaining about it. I wonder if they do that so they don't have to go to the trouble of managing different set's of inventories for different bikes (due to the different spacing)??? Time will tell us I guess. Mine should be on next week or the week after. I'll let you know if mine is disastrous!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's knurling on mine, but I have still had them slip a couple times. I know once was when i had some back pressure and hit a bump, but Ive also had em creep back on me.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

chit!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Can't weigh in on the Carlini's slipping as I haven't put em on yet. I did have
1 1/4" beach bars on that weren't stepped/ knurled and had no problem. I played around with them a lot trying to get them at the right height and angle. Each time I had to loosen the risers bolts as there was no way they were budging while puching down or pulling up.. I know the apes are a different animal but don't expect a problem. The 1 1/2" Carlinis are huge. I was surprised at the difference bewtween the 1 1/4". The piston style risers that I saw for the 1 1/2" non stepped looked like frig"n hockey puck diameter.

Just an FYI, while I was at Carlini I saw what they consider a blem and it is insignifcant. Example: a 1/2" scratch at the bottom which would be facing down next to the riser. Well worth the discount IMO and puts them in the Wild1 price range.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM
jslamerman
Advanced

Mine do slip, but I feel for the style Ill deal (I am going to electrical tape inside the carlini risers, and reclamp). It only happens when I hit a BIG bump, Im over 2 1/2 lower in the back than stock, and I tense up (grab the bars hard) BIGTIME when I hit certain bumps.

Quick Reply: Carlini Flying Apes