Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Turn signal problem, please help

Riding home this evening, started up the bike at wrok, the left turn signal flashes, try the left thumb switch, it didn't do anything. Then I used the right signal switch, the left signal went off. The right signal works fine but nothing happened when I pressed the left signal switch. So far I have check all the bulbs and rear light module connections, they seemed to be fine. When I shut off the bike and restart it, the left turn signal starts flashing, any idea? 4-way flash and alarm signal are fine, all the lights are working properly. Thanks Alex

Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
CrawdadAZ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have one of those run/turn/stop modules, try taking that out and trying it. Just one more simple thing to eliminate as the problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I forgot to mention that I did, when I unplugged the stop/run module, the left front signal still flashes, it happens every time I key off and on. I might open the left switch housing and check tomorrow.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a smiliar issue. I just hit the right signal to turn it off at starting. One day soon I'll tear into it, but until after bikefest.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheack switch for gunk or replace switch.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like you may have a short someplace in the left switch.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I can cancel the left signal by hitting the right signal switch but the left still don't work after it went off, it comes on only when I turn the ignition off and on again. Thanks
I am checking the switch today, don't have the wiring diagram at home.
Originally Posted by anubisss
I have a smiliar issue. I just hit the right signal to turn it off at starting. One day soon I'll tear into it, but until after bikefest.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me know. Mine still works, jsut comes on when I power up which i swhy I ahve not checked it out yet. Do you still have stock bars?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
deluxxxe
Cruiser

I had this problem too once for a few days. All is good now though. I blamed it on getting to much water in the switch when washing the bike. I use a high powed leaf blower to dry the bike. Now i just wrap some face towels around the switches when washing and drying. I havent had the problem again.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this might not be your issue but here is a similiar problem i had a few weeks back. I upgraded seats and installed a PCIII.. Put the stock seat (badlander) on, and my left turn signal would not come on, but my right turn signal worked fine. Turned on and off worked fine..Middle of riding did the same thing. At the same time, my Security Key light came on. Did this all day that day. So i tried a few things including pulling over and taking the seat off, and then it would work fine.

Step One: So when i took the stock seat off, put newer seat on (Deep Bucket), worked fine.

Step Two: Tried to figure out why the seat mattered (Deep Bucket does not press on the battery cables as hard as the Badlander).....Checked battery while bike was on (seat off) and left turn signal activated (still not on and security key on), bam...the negative side of the battery cable was loose, and when i jiggled it, the turn signal came on like its supposed and the security key light turned off. Its been fine for 1,000+ miles.

Its a far reach, and not the same circumstance, but I would try, but thought i would throw it out there in case anyone ever comes across it. Told service manager at HD just in case someone calls in or asks him, and was like "yea i could see that happen".

Last edited by jknowlton; 10-01-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem, please help