Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Tire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:41 PM
cpt.crunch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Tire Kit

Thinking of putting a fat tire kit on my 05 standard. Any suggestions?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
NixonWho
Tourer

Cpt. Crunch, what size tire and rim would you like to have on your bike? Are you planning to run 240, 250 or 300? Some popular kits on the market are like Heartland, RSD or Performance Machine (phattail kit).

Old 10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
joshh
Advanced

either spend $3000 on a complete kit and go up to 250 or switch to chain or narrow belt and you can put a 200 on using your stock swingarm. anything over 160 you have to cut your struts and change your fender. anything over 150 and you have to go with an 18" rear to clear your caliper.... there are a lot of nice fat tire kits out there. from what i've been told any kit that doesnt require offsetting the entire trans is good... starting my 200 upgrade now myself. good luck. told these kits are good http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Part..._tire_kits.htm

Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
CrazyTrain68
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joshh
either spend $3000 on a complete kit and go up to 250 or switch to chain or narrow belt and you can put a 200 on using your stock swingarm. anything over 160 you have to cut your struts and change your fender. anything over 150 and you have to go with an 18" rear to clear your caliper.... there are a lot of nice fat tire kits out there. from what i've been told any kit that doesnt require offsetting the entire trans is good... starting my 200 upgrade now myself. good luck. told these kits are good http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Part..._tire_kits.htm

Josh, you mentioned changing to a chain or narrow belt, do you know what size belt? I have an '05 NT and was going to go with just a 180/wheel & tire, but if I can change the belt and get a 200 I may go that way. Is there an DISADVANTAGE of a narrow belt vs. the one I have now???? Thanks!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:34 PM
joshh
Advanced

the stock '07 standards/trains/fatboys all come with a narrow belt (20mm) and a 200 tire stock. they run a 17" wheel but we have to run an 18" so we can use our stock caliper. my buddy has the skinny belt on his and he rides it hard with no problems. i just saw a screamin eagle at the dealer and he said they have no problems with the 20mm belts. the other choice you have is a chain. but then you have to put a sprocket in your trans, which isnt that hard. we did one last winter on my buddies custom electraglide so we could put a 180 on it. looks good with his open primary and bags...

Old 10-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the narrow belt is what is currently on 06 and newer ST's. I'm currently running stock belt with stock caliper setup w/ 18x240.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:00 AM
cpt.crunch
Cruiser

so, if I wanted to run a 200, all I would have to do is get a thinner belt? (Besides the wheel set up)

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

I went with the Heartland stuff because there is no better quality and support Yeah it's spendy but you do own a Harley, don't you?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
joshh
Advanced

you also have to cut your stock fender struts off to make room for anything bigger than a 160. my plans are to install a stock '07 fender with a little work, but there are a ton of kits out there to bolt right on.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
CrazyTrain68
Road Captain

Originally Posted by joshh
the stock '07 standards/trains/fatboys all come with a narrow belt (20mm) and a 200 tire stock. they run a 17" wheel but we have to run an 18" so we can use our stock caliper. my buddy has the skinny belt on his and he rides it hard with no problems. i just saw a screamin eagle at the dealer and he said they have no problems with the 20mm belts. the other choice you have is a chain. but then you have to put a sprocket in your trans, which isnt that hard. we did one last winter on my buddies custom electraglide so we could put a 180 on it. looks good with his open primary and bags...

So is the 20mm belt that is used on the '07 the same length for what I would need? I can just go to my local HD dealer and pick one up?

I thought about the chain, but I think the belt looks better(IMO)

Thanks again for the info!

Quick Reply: Fat Tire Kit