Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:17 PM
vascik883
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust upgrade

Hey guys. I've had good luck with you advice on this page so I'm hoping you can help me out again. I'm at that point where I'm ready to replace the stock exhaust with something to wake up my night train. I'm looking at Martin Bros exhaust and V&H sideshots. My question is what all needs to be done to make sure the bike is properly tuned and mapped. I have someone to help me put on the new pipes but what about after that? Do I need to take the bike to the stealership to have them tune and map it? I also want to put on a K&N ac. Can the bike be riden with the new pipes before it's tunned or will this hurt the bike. Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Year? Carb or EFI? More info please.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 PM
vascik883
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike is an 08 fuel injected night train.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
SuperUnknown
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be fine with just pipes...

Old 10-10-2008, 01:00 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It will perform better with a high flow air cleaner & a tuner though....I ran pipes only & after the power commander & AC it performed MUCH better. JMHO.

Clay

Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 AM
travis dasher
Road Captain

Like the other fellas said, pipes is fine. If you decide to replace the A/C with an after market one then you will need to have it mapped. I would recommend doing the big 3 (A/C, exhaust, and map or tune) all at once. You can do it yourself. Check out Fuel Moto for the PCIII and A/C, great deals and customer service is top notch.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:51 AM
Reverend
Tourer

I've got the same issues myself; I've ordered a pair of these babies - http://www.samsonusa.com/products/sf.../productID/470 - for my 'Bones, but wanted to wait until I'd run the bike in fully as I want a dyno run as standard to act as a benchmark.

Once the pipes are fitted I'm aiming to get another run before I go to the next step which is opening up the breathing side.

From a download point of view, the Stage One H-D map will suffice when both exhaust and inlet are opened up, but any further will require some more setting changes & with this in mind for the future I'm opting to run with the slightly more expensive Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (SERT), which has more adjustability.

The way the piggy back aftermarket tuning devices work is by richening the fuel mixture, which is why you always feel more performance, but at the expense of ruining your fuel economy.

The SERT will allow more fine tuning across the rev range and iron a lot of this out.

Of course, you need to know someone with knowlege & a good laptop to allow this, but it's all achieveable with patience.

Pipes will be fine on their own, but ensure the O2 sensors are still fitted if your bike has them.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
new jack
Stage II

I just bought some python 3 for my 06 heritage softail can I just run pipes without a power commander or dyno. Moneys tight but want a better sound than the stock pipes. will it damage my bike?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you should be fine with pipes only but don't do anything else (AC) until yoou can get a re-map or a tuner for some fueling & timing adjustments....Thats what I was told fwiw.

Clay

Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Huey Driver
Tourer

No need to do anything....this is probably the most common topic that I've seen on this forum. There is no need to do remapping or any other modifications if you just add pipes. If you start adding pipes and a new air cleaner or intake then you would need to get it mapped. I've seen more people screw their bikes up by mapping unnecessarily.

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrade