Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I Make my Turn Signals Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:39 PM
bondyhog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Make my Turn Signals Manual?

For those of you not from England, and if you've been lucky enough to not have visited, the roads here IMHO are not really designed to work with these automatic turn signals. There are a few posts asking the question 'Can these be switched off or made manual somehow', but I can't find one post on this forum with an answer.

Every other post on this subject seems to end up becoming a debate as to whether these auto turn signals are any good or not and totally screws up the question.

So is there any way at all to let me press the button once to switch them on, and then press it again to switch them off when I want? I only ask because I had a moment today involving the clenching of a certain muscle group when some idiot driver assumed I was going one way and nearly had his passenger door modified by my ride!

Old 10-11-2008, 03:43 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are auto manual switches....

if you hit it once, it stays on... hit it again it turns off.

Hit both at the same time and the hazards come on and both will flash.

I just use my hands....

Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
bondyhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BUCKETASS
They are auto manual switches....

if you hit it once, it stays on... hit it again it turns off.

Hit both at the same time and the hazards come on and both will flash.

I just use my hands....
Bucketass, I know that I can cancel them by pressing it again, but sometimes they don't self cancel, sometimes they do but only after about 500 meters. Sometimes they'll be about to cancel themselves, (unknown to me), and I'll press the button again but this will restart the whole cycle.

I don't like my turn signals under the control of anyone or anything other than me and me alone, because one day if they don't self cancel when they should I could end up being knocked off by a confused motorist.

So is there some wire I can cut like on some other models, (I've got a rocker C by the way) or a plug I can unplug, or a circuit I can short etc?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:43 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bondyhog
Bucketass, I know that I can cancel them by pressing it again, but sometimes they don't self cancel, sometimes they do but only after about 500 meters. Sometimes they'll be about to cancel themselves, (unknown to me), and I'll press the button again but this will restart the whole cycle.

I don't like my turn signals under the control of anyone or anything other than me and me alone, because one day if they don't self cancel when they should I could end up being knocked off by a confused motorist.

So is there some wire I can cut like on some other models, (I've got a rocker C by the way) or a plug I can unplug, or a circuit I can short etc?
Nope, it's internal in the turn signal module...

if it wasn't integrated in the module you could pull the auto relay out but you can't...

i see what your saying though.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Easy fix if you're a wee bit handy. Score an old-fashioned flasher & socket. Then score a couple relays that will activate with a push of the switch, and deactivate with another push. Clip the wires to the turn signals a couple inches from the module. Clip the wires from the switches near the module, too. Add a "hot" wire and you now have all the wires needed to hook up the things the old way.

Last edited by pococj; 10-11-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 AM
bondyhog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pococj
Easy fix if you're a wee bit handy. Score an old-fashioned flasher & socket. Then score a couple relays that will activate with a push of the switch, and deactivate with another push. Clip the wires to the turn signals a couple inches from the module. Clip the wires from the switches near the module, too. Add a "hot" wire and you now have all the wires needed to hook up the things the old way.
I was a mechanic so this shouldn't be a problem. Seems complex though as all my wiring is internal. Thanks Pococj