Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Murphy's Freakin' Law....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Murphy's Freakin' Law....

Well, I posted a couple of months ago that my scoot has been running like crap. In any gear, just bogs down like its starving. On occasion had a hard time idling for a few miles, popping and skipping. Bike is totally stock. Made appt. with local stealer 3 weeks ago, since still under warranty. Anyway, yesterday was such a great day, I said screw it and took it to work, about an hours ride (been kindof stickin closer to home in case scoot decides to break down completey). so, same scenario running crappy, but more so because it took a fit for a couple of miles again, then back to riding at 50-55 mph.

Get this, end of day I head home from work. the freakin' bike rides like no tomorrow, Strong as a bull. Pulls in every gear without missing a beat, riding 90 mph on highway no problems. It's been like this for 2 straight days now. So, every day for past 2 months running like crap it now decides to run great again. Kicker is the bike is going in on Monday!!! At least I got the sensor codes that came up so they won;t think I'm on drugs...

I was thinking of fuel pressure regulator. Unless the sensors are acting up. One of the codes was front sensor not responding, plus the PO131 and PO151 front and rear sensor codes. I dono, we'll see what they say...

GOOOOO FIGURE!!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
gt06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, I bought my Heritage new in 06 and I have had a power issue ever since.The first time was at the second service . When I left the dealer it seemed as though the bike had an extra 20 HP. I was loving it.I called the dealer to find out what they had done and they said nothing out of the ordinary. This extra power lasted for about a month and the all of a sudden one day it was gone, I took it back and they checked a few things and said the bike was runnig good which it was....idled great ...started great, but the extra power was gone.They said it was running normal for a mostley stock bike.I only have Vance & Hinds Big Radius exhaust and Screaming Eagle air kit.Anyway I accepted it as all in my mind. at least that's what my friends told me even though I knew different. The following season I took it to another dealer and had a mechanic take it out to see what he thought...he came back and said it was a slug and he knew what the problem was. He said he sprayed around the intake with oil and it stalled hence an air intake leak. No problem...replace the intake seal with a new one. WOW what a difference, That EXTRA power was back, so of I go back to the other dealer to see why they couldn't find the probem.They said no way it was the intake seal.After trying to explain to them that I didn't know one way or the other if that was the problem or not, but how could they explain the power coming back.Darn if I didn't leave there and half way home the power was gone again.
I August of this year I took it back to the same mechanic who had replaced the intake seal the year before and he changed out the jets as I was going on a 6 day trip down state side and wanted it running better.It had tons of top end power for all six days and for about a week after that.I even went back to let the mechanic know that things were runnig good.Believe it or not 2 days later and it was back to being a slug again. I have gotten to the point where I am just accepting the fact that the bike has some sort of Gremlin. I think that something just isn't right. My wife has a completely stock XL 883 and most of the time if she is ahead of me I really have to twist the throttle and bang through the gears to catch up to her. A 1450 trying to keep up to a 883 ...ah it just aint right ...Ha Ha.. Any one ever even remotely have the same issue. I think that if the bike ran like crap then at least the dealer would would at least be able to see that there was a problem, but that isn't the case.It seems to run good so how can they fix what isn't broke, but why and where does this increase in power come from and why does it just dissappear????? I'm at a dead end...

G.T.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:30 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, HD just called me and bike is fixed. Ended being the Fuel Pressure Regulator afterall. when I mentioned it could be a possibility when I dropped it off, they said don;t think so...

we'll see...

Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hopefully that fixes it..i hate hearing from dealers "not sure why its doing that" or "it seems to be normal" when we all know it is not.

Let us know how it goes.