Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train in shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM
bowerphoto
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Train in shop

I just bought a 2004 Night Train with 8,000 miles on it 2 days ago. I took it back to the shop today because it was running a little rough. They called and said the Carb needed to be re jetted and the plugs where white. I know this means it was running lean, but should I be concerned? I wish they would have caught this before they sold it to me but they are going to jet them for free. There are some Vanes Hines pipes on it so I am assuming it had already been jetted when they were installed. Is there anything else I need to check or be concerned about? Thanks for any help

Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. What probably happened was the previous owner put pipes on and never installed a jet kit. Wait until you get it back before you start sweating bullets. The carb'ed bikes are a lot easier to get straightened out than the EFI bikes are. If it is still running rough after the re-jet, then you may have something to worry about.....but from the sounds of it, I don't think you do.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM
bowerphoto
Novice

thanks for the info. They assured me that I will be better off in the long run because they said they know it will be done right this time. Hopefully I will get it back soon and have no worries.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to say. If a bike runs too lean for an extended period of time, it can burn the valves. I agree, see how it runs after the rejet.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:40 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Unless their service department is snowed under, they should be able to get the bike back to you today. Re-jetting doesn't take any time at all if you're experienced at doing it.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome to the dark side!!! congrats and hopefully bike back up and running smoothly soon.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM
bowerphoto
Novice

they are telling me that none of the HD dealers or other shops have the jets they need in the DFW area. So I guess I will be enjoying this nice weekend in other ways. thanks for the info

Old 10-17-2008, 02:03 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

That's typical. I put a set of slip-ons on my Fat Boy yesterday afternoon and I had been trying to find some replacement muffler clamps for a couple of days. My thinking was that the most popular aftermarket part for any HD parts counter had to be exhaust systems. Based on that, I figured that if they didn't have anything else, they would have muffler clamps. So, I drove 45 minutes to the nearest dealership and they didn't have any. I called a couple of other larger dealers and none of them had them either. I just reused the original clamps.

That being said, if the jets in the HD carbs are standard, then you can probably get some at one of the sport bike places around Dallas if you know what size you need. However, if you need new needles too, then you're better off just waiting. Of course, knowing HD, the jets are probably have left hand threads or something stupid like that to keep you from getting them somewhere else.

If you don't mind me asking, which dealership did you take the bike to? I live close to the DFW area and I'm interested in knowing who is working on your bike.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:28 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Poole Cycle in Baulch Springs. I know Mike will have jets for your bike and would probably do the rejetting for you unless you are hooked in to Harley.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM
bowerphoto
Novice

My bike is at Full Boar where I bought it. They are doing all of the work for free since I just bought it 2 days ago. The most irritating thing is that I can't get them to call me. I have to call them for all of the info. Hopefully they will get it running smooth next week.

Quick Reply: Night Train in shop