Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound, no power increase Q!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
puya
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound, no power increase Q!!!

Guys, I just bought an '09 Rocker and I want some noise but no need of power increase. The question is: If I just replace the stock exhaust with a set of V&H short shots, without any PCIII, or reflash, nor a perfomance air cleaner would the bike run well??????????????

Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by puya
Guys, I just bought an '09 Rocker and I want some noise but no need of power increase. The question is: If I just replace the stock exhaust with a set of V&H short shots, without any PCIII, or reflash, nor a perfomance air cleaner would the bike run well??????????????
I thought that at one time too. I see a 103 or more in my future now As for the question, it should run ok.
Ron

Old 10-20-2008, 07:50 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

As stated in numerous threads (feel free to search), if you just do the pipes without some-sort of either Stage 1 download (which I have), race tuner, or fuel management, you'll end up causing all sorts of damage to your bike. It's well worth the extra money to do it right. No need to ruin an expensive motorcycle because of your frugality.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
mjp750
Advanced

Originally Posted by jason628
Greetings,

As stated in numerous threads (feel free to search), if you just do the pipes without some-sort of either Stage 1 download (which I have), race tuner, or fuel management, you'll end up causing all sorts of damage to your bike. It's well worth the extra money to do it right. No need to ruin an expensive motorcycle because of your frugality.

opinions vary by thread. some say that replacing slip-ons with nothing else and you're fine, but if you do full pipes you need remapping. other threads say either is fine as long as you're only messing with exhaust and not intake... others say it depends...

certified Harley wrench that has his own place now (yes, that's the definition of an indie) told me when talking with him about playing with the 883L that we're going to put Python 3s on - do the work, run it for 50 to 100 miles at highway speeds AND some around town, pull the plugs and see what they look like. if they're tan (normal burn) you're pretty much good to go. if they're ashy white, you're running lean and need to get it fixed...

that's the route we're going to take. do the work, run the bike, check it out. if something else IS needed we'll take care of it then, but my expectation (or at least hope) is that if we do just the slip-ons we'll be rolling with big smiles and no extra out of pocket.

cheers...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

If you do pipes only the O2 sensors will adjust for them with in the first 15 minutes of ride time. If you add a air cleaner, you'll need some tipe of fuel management.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky 13
If you do pipes only the O2 sensors will adjust for them with in the first 15 minutes of ride time. If you add a air cleaner, you'll need some tipe of fuel management.
The O2 sensors will correct for the minor (very) difference in AF ratio new pipes can, but often don't, cause. Just becasue replacment exhaust pipes let the engine breath 'out' better doesn't fix or change the fact that the intake is still choking off the air getting in.
So more often than not just doing pipes, no other work (like map changes) is necessary.
But fool with the intake in nearly any way shape or form, even if you don't change the pipes and you HAVE to address the problem of the engine running even leaner than it was set from the factory.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just another opinion, you need fuel managment even on a stock lean burn engine to get back to the days of cool running

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser

Here's my experiences with this matter, take it for what it's worth.

I put pipes on my first bike, and because it was a carb'ed bike I went ahead and had the dealer install a jet kit even though I didn't change anything on the intake side. The bike ran great and, in a similar situation with a similar bike, I'd do it again.

My second bike, a VTX1800, was a little different story. I put a set of Sideburners on it and ran it for a while to see how it reacted. While it was alright out on the road, drivability around town suffered. It's well known that the VTX's stock fuel map is pretty fat in the upper RPM ranges, but down low it was lean and the pipes only made it worse. I wound up putting a PCIII on it and having it dyno tuned. Given a similar situation with a similar bike, I'd do that again as well.

With my HD, I've only put on a set of slip-on mufflers, and so far it is running rather well. I rode through Dallas over the weekend and got caught up in some state fair traffic, and the leanness of the engine at idle and lower speeds (20 to 35 mpg) became rather apparent. I checked the plugs yesterday during lunch, and based on how they look (slightly ashy out toward the tip of the electrodes), something needs to be done. I've decided to give the XiEDs a try and see if they can help. If they don't remedy the problem, then it'll be a PCIII and a dyno tune sometime after the first of the year.

I also agree with tk353. Even stock bikes can benefit from a fuel manager of some kind and a good tune.

Last edited by 07fat_boy; 10-21-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
jknowlton
Road Master

I wanted the same thing done for my bike..didnt care about power just wanted louder sound for safety..The newer bikes are so damn quiet.

I got mixed reviews from everyone. Two indy shops and HD both recommended, air intake, pipes and power commander for everything to be right and no issues. But could have been due to them selling all the equipment, lol.

Here in the forums, I read mixed reviews and most people that I know personally, all did the total package themselves so there was no issues of running lean/rich or any complications.

It is very pricey to do it all, and also worry about doing a dyno. After almost a year of contemplating, i found a deal i couldnt pass up for pricing and ended up with VH ShortSHots Staggerd / AN Big Sucker Stage 1 Chrome / PC III with map all out the door for $880... Did it myself and never an issue so far after a summer/fall of riding.

I can only recommend doing everything, cause that is what i did and never had an issue. Now for just doing the pipes, if you do slip ons (littel louder) with no adjustment its fine, and have heard on here if you do the complete pipes, "should" be fine with no adjustment and the bike will adjust itself. I dont like the answer "should". With a mix of people running normal, great and no issues. But also i have seen postings with people that just did pipes (no air/ fuel management) and get popping or kicking and ended up getting air/pcIII anyways. The temperature on the pipes after installing it, dropped significantly (even the girl noticed that) and runs great. I think there is a misconception from the older bikes, that you have to change everything, and no one is really gonna say anything about "you dont have to" cause there would be a lot of money lost in the market. So maybe a few more years of EFI models with 02 sensors and we will see what they say.

Either way you go, i would do it all myself, I am no wrench and it was easily done with the right tools.

Hope i didnt confuse you, but just my opinion that is not worth .01 cents.

Last edited by jknowlton; 10-21-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added comments
Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine cost $200 for used pc lll usb, $240 for the rush slip ons, $110 for the Arlen Ness breather, $280 for the dyno tune. I did not care as much about sound as I did about running cool and not having flat spots when trying to merge to traffic. It was sad my sportster out ran my Fatboy. If I was to do it over I would get a Thundermax instead and not have to rely on dyno tune being done right even though mine was.

Quick Reply: Sound, no power increase Q!!!