Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which windshield is best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default which windshield is best?

Are the HD windshield's pricey at $400 a pop? Like the Nostalgic tinted for my 07' Deluxe. I do like the mounting system they have. Anyone using something different but with same type quick disconnect mounting hardware? Looked at products from WindVest, National cycles, and Memphis shades. Not sure I like these others which have mounting systems onto handlebars...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:17 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a Night Train so my experience may not totally apply to your bike but, I owned the HD windshield, Memphis Shades and now a Windvest. IMO the Windvest is the best I have owned. The only thing I would say is to get the taller/wider version. Mine is a 14 inch shield but it far surpasses the others in utility. I think it looks better too.

The HD shield really sucked. The Memphis Shades was just okay. The Windvest does not totally block the wind but it pushes it up over your head so your helmet and glasses don't get knocked around at highway speeds. You still get quite a bit of wind on your chest but it is not tiring at all. I'd say it blocks about 60% of the wind you'd get if you were riding w/o a shield.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,457 Likes on 21,402 Posts

Memphis shades Rio Grande for me. Very utilitarian, and practical for me.
Cost is right too, about a buck and a half, maybe a little more, not much.
It's been the best for me, and won't work like a sail like the HD's will.

Don't care for the looks of the windvest,
don't look like it can do all that much.

Don't know about it pushin' the wind over your helmet as I don't wear one.
That sounds like an adjustment.
It just don't look like it's much of windshield to me.

If it only pushes the wind over your head, and not your chest, maybe they ought to call it an Airhead!! as opposed to a Windvest. LOLOL!!
Ya spose?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
km@c
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Harley quick release hardware on an 05 heritage but replaced the glass with a Memphis Shades 19"solar. I'm running the chrome lowers and that combination works great for me.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 AM
ronyd
Road Master

Wienerdogbone, does windvest and Memphis shades mount to the handlebars or to the chrome uppers?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Windvest does mount on the handlebars. Mine works very well, you just have to experiment with the height adjustments and angle of it to get the best wind deflection. Makes long rides a lot easier on the body.

Attached Thumbnails which windshield is best?-dsc_0359.jpg  
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ronyd
Are the HD windshield's pricey at $400 a pop? Like the Nostalgic tinted for my 07' Deluxe. I do like the mounting system they have. Anyone using something different but with same type quick disconnect mounting hardware? Looked at products from WindVest, National cycles, and Memphis shades. Not sure I like these others which have mounting systems onto handlebars...
For my Heritage I got a gradiant tinted replacement screen from memphis shades. It uses the same mounting hardware that comes stock and uses the stock quick release. The replacement was around 67.00 dollars I believe. I should think the same would work on your deluxe.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
frang413
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the same as lionsqrne.hate to say iy but i think it's a better windshield than the harley.heavier made and less distortion

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyd
Wienerdogbone, does windvest and Memphis shades mount to the handlebars or to the chrome uppers?
The Windvest mounts to the handlebars. Don't let the small size fool you. It works. Memphis Shades makes shields that mount to the forks or the handlebars. I had a Hellcat from them. It mounted to the bars.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to have a Harley detachable on my night train, but it was the 05 version that had the mounting hardware on the bike. since I didn't like the hardware on the bike I got rid of it. my wife has a windvest on her shovelhead and it's great.

my next shield will be windvest, I've heard great things about em, and it only takes a few minutes to bolt em on and off.

Quick Reply: which windshield is best?