Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker fender hole filling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 AM
kylant
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rocker fender hole filling?

guys,

i know several of you have filled/welded the holes in the rear feder left over after moving the license plate. How did you guys do it? did you weld a plate in the underside of the fender? or did you just fill the holes with welding rod? do you guys have tips, suggestions, etc....? I chopped my fender, now have to fill the holes, and get it repainted.

thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

put spikes or something else in it. I got a custom made spade for my fatboy. Welding and repainting it so much work for those stupid holes. I geuss you could rpobably jsut jb weld it and repaint it.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

As you know, the holes are very, very small. Just a small bit of welding rod will work just fine. You don't need much material at all. I really don't see the need for a plate underneath.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how much you chop outta there?

Old 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
kylant
Road Captain

i do have some jb weld at in the garage, will that work?

the holes are bigger than they were. I made them slightly bigger in order to allow some chrome plugs to fit in them.

I chopped the fender down right to the end of the flames. I think it is about 7". There is about 1/4" before the holes start. On the underside of the fender there is also a plate of metal that has been ground down/back so you cannot see it from the rear.

What type of weld should we use? does it matter? I am beyond the point of turning back, so the fender needs to be repainted anyway.

thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Invisible Kid
Intermediate

If you want to do it right, sand down to bare metal around the areas of the 3 holes with flap wheel or something similar. Ive used a MIG and simply placed a few "spot" welds around the hole till it is filled in. Pop a weld on one hole, then move to the next, move to the next, etc. This will make sure you don't over heat the area and warp the metal. When they are closed up, grind down the area smooth. Shoot with primer and repaint the area.

If you dont have a welder or friend with one, remove your fender and prep the holes like written above. Take to a local exhaust shop, or other mechanics shop and ask if someone can fill in the holes for a few bucks. Take it home and grind the welds smooth. Since you will be repainting the fender anyway, have your painter run a bit of filler over the area just to cover any pits.