Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rides are becoming shocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:26 PM
cspcrx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rides are becoming shocking

I have a 2007 Softail Standard with less then 1500 miles on it. I have just started to notice that if I pull the clutch in on startup I get a little shock through my ring finger, I wear a wedding ring. I also have noticed it a few times when I am sitting at a light in neutral and pull the clutch lever in a get a little shock. The only other time I have noticed it is on the occasional shift. It does not happen ever time but its getting old. I have not had the bike for a year yet so Im figuring I can take it in. As you all know electrical issues are impossible. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a ground somewhere that might cause this? Thank you.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you still have the stock controls and bars?
if you have internal wires, you may have some chaffing..causing a short or it might be a loose connection in the switch gear....
2007 with 1500 miles... you should still be under warranty if you trust the dealer to look at it...

Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check all the the ground wires on the bike. Sounds like it's trying to make a ground from the clutch cable.
Ron

Old 11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

On my Fatboy their is a ground wire attached to a riser bolt from the under side. Maybe you should also have one or perhaps it is not connected properly?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:02 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

Yes everything on the bars is as it came from the factory. I saw the ground under the lower tree and its tight. It seems to be occuring more and more frequently. Ill have to call the dealer and get it in. Didnt know if anyone had this happen and knew the fix. Thanks all.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The controls are all metal with a lot of metal to metal contact so its unlikely that a short in anything is going to try to find ground through your fingers on the clutch lever. An internal short in the switches or wires is more likely to go through the covers to the handlebars than the clutch cable. Besides the clutch cable's outer shielding is the equivalent of a hard electrical connection between the transmission and the switch housing.
So I seriously doubt your getting a shock from the bikes electrical systems. It sounds more like your generating a "Personal" static charge and discharging through the first piece of bare metal you touch, the clutch lever.
This may sound a little strange, but do you wear anything like wool under a leather jacket that has a satin or silk like lining? Have you paid any attention to the weather when your getting the most shocks? Is it dry with low humidity?
Odds are if I'm right your also getting a shock sometimes through the brake lever too. But you more often than not touch the clutch handle first and discharge through there so you don't or just haven't noticed it.

Just a thought, but wool and in rare cases cotton sox can also generate a static charge in boots with rubber soles and the right kind of lining.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 11-02-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,799 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Since you say you are wearing your wedding ring, it could be possible your ring is putting enough pressure on a nerve in your finger to give it a tingle.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:03 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

I HIGHLY doubt you are actually get a shock from an electrical source and tend to agree with chromejunkie that you are doing something to your nerves to make it feel like a shock.
I have bad nerves in my legs from back problems and I get this type of feeling all the time. Sometimes it feels like my phone is vibrating in my pocket (with no phone around). I have all kinds of other weird sensations from the nerves being damaged when I was in the Military.
I would take a look at that end of it too to see if it is the angle, or position that you are ridin in to cause this.

10-1 this is your first bike too. If it is, then I would be willing to bet it is your body and not the bike.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
Since you say you are wearing your wedding ring, it could be possible your ring is putting enough pressure on a nerve in your finger to give it a tingle.
Interesting idea and I have to say it is very plausable. I have had similar 'feelings' from my wedding ring when shooting larger caliber handguns with two hands. Just never though of it in terms of a bike cause its never happened to me. Very good thinking.
I do however get static shocks from my bike occasionally and that's why I thought of it first.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
cspcrx
Tourer

I was wearing jeans, and a long sleeve shirt no jacket. I was also wearing leather clovers so my skin is not actually touching anything. I dont think static would do that unless my skin actually touched the metal. Whats odd is its the finger next to my ring almost in the web. It actually feels like the spark is jumping from my ring to that finger. I use my middle and index finger to actuate the clutch. Its not a large shock feels like a small 12 volt shock. Not like getting hit with the coil. I will have to take it for a ride and leave my ring off. I wear a ring on the same finger on my right hand and do not get shocked. Thanks all. I may just be loosing my mind.

Quick Reply: Rides are becoming shocking