Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bars for a night train?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Which bars for a night train?

I've got a 08 night train and would like to change out the bars over winter. Anything more than an hour and my lower back is hurting. Not jsut a little but bad. So im lookin for bars that would get me more upright. I like drag bars or apes. I really would like the 14" carlini gangster apes but dont know if those would be better than something like harley street slammers. Lookin for peoples opinions on what to do.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM
utexasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problems with the stock bars and risers on the nightrain. i bought six inch risers and kept the stock cables and bars and it really helped alot.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 AM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i changed mine to the wild 1 501s. made all the difference with comfort.

http://wild1inc.com/wo501c.html

Old 11-05-2008, 06:02 AM
mstng5point0
Road Captain

I dont know which year night train you have but i thought they all came with 6 inch risers?

The 501s were a bit more pull back that i wanted, cause i like the look of the 500s more. But i dont know if they make that much more of a difference. Carlini also has a nice set with 8 inches of rise and 7 pull back. I wonder if those would be good to?

Im really having a hard time gettin my mind off the gangster apes how comfortable are 14 inch apes?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,809 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
I dont know which year night train you have but i thought they all came with 6 inch risers?

The 501s were a bit more pull back that i wanted, cause i like the look of the 500s more. But i dont know if they make that much more of a difference. Carlini also has a nice set with 8 inches of rise and 7 pull back. I wonder if those would be good to?

Im really having a hard time gettin my mind off the gangster apes how comfortable are 14 inch apes?

That's what I used the 8/7 Carlini's. I'm 6-0 and have found them to fit my riding style.I can sit straight up and not have to reach for the bars.Your seat is probably also a problem.Once you get the bars and seat right you will like your ride a whole lot more.

Attached Thumbnails Which bars for a night train?-copy-2-of-july08bike-005.jpg   Which bars for a night train?-copy-2-of-july08bike-006.jpg  
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
BlueDragon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll second the seat option... the stock seat (Badlander) killed my back if I rode over a couple hundred miles in a day~ The Mustang seat made a huge difference there~ I kept the stock drag bars and just changed out the risers to 6" pull backs~ That brought the bars back just enough to sit more upright~ Have yet to have a problem since~ I even rode to LA and back...1600 miles round trip... and the only pains I felt was in my ankles, from laying my feet over on the pegs while ridin the concrete slab~

Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If your lower back hurts go for some apes. I find that they are extremely comfortable. I can't say on the seat for your bike, but maybe something with some back support. Mustang makes some like that. You could always get a seat with a rider backrest as well. Having a backrest will help if you have a bad back.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain

Thanks for the help guys. Im really leanin towards the apes im 5'10" and idea if 14" bars would go above my shoulders? I dont want want really high ones. Or atleast i dont think i do. I was wondering about seats to i like the look of the badlander but was wondering if c&c seat would be the way to go or if mean city cycles could do something good with it.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
Thanks for the help guys. Im really leanin towards the apes im 5'10" and idea if 14" bars would go above my shoulders? I dont want want really high ones. Or atleast i dont think i do. I was wondering about seats to i like the look of the badlander but was wondering if c&c seat would be the way to go or if mean city cycles could do something good with it.
I just put 18" gangster apes on my bike........I'm 6'4" and my hands are a little above eye level. You might be happiest with 16"s but if there's anyway to mock some up, do it.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:02 AM
mstng5point0
Road Captain

A guy i know has 16" gangsters i sat on his bike and didnt like them to much, but he has them pushed forward alot. so i was really reachin for them. That was my reason for 14s. Can you take some pics of you on the bike with the 18s?

Quick Reply: Which bars for a night train?