Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal module fried

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Turn signal module fried

I had the Harley kit. First, I thought it was a bad ground wire. The wire was way stressed when I changed out the bar risers. I wasn't paying attention to it and I overtorqued it. When I loosened the bolt to move the terminal, it snapped. I had to put a new ground wire on, and two new terminals. It's a solid grounding strap that's normally used for antenna installations though, so it is a solid ground. Have to heat shrink it for cosmetic reasons, since it's green with one blue and one yellow terminal.

Anyway, when the alarm was arming, I noticed the headlight flash and the taillight too, albeit weakly. I figured it was the ground wire that caused it. After changing the wire out, it still did it. I pulled the seat off, and disconnected the module, and no problems. Sprayed it with contact cleaner, but no luck. Wasn't until after I'd pulled it off that I noticed that it got hot and warped. May have been a bad ground that caused it, or it may have been engine heat.

After pulling the module off, and cycling the computer 4 times, the bike ran really great, a lot better than it has been running for a while. Smoother power delivery, and better response. I don't know if the module was causing other problems, but those problems now seem fixed now that the module is gone. I may try to find some front signals and go that route with dual filament bulbs instead of trying to do it all over again. It may also be cheaper that way. Won't be brake lights, but will work for running lights and turn signals.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,798 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Did you ever use your 4 ways while it was installed. I had mine on for about 5 minutes one night and it cooked it. I replaced it with another HD unit and it has worked fine for the past 2 years. Needless to say, I haven't used my 4 was since.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

I used them on a road trip not too long ago. Might have been what did it. I know that there's a way to wire in new housings for dual filament bulbs, so you have running lights and turn signals. The signals just don't work as brake lights. For the price of the module, I think it is comparable.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put on the Tail bones conversion module to have my new LED rear signals also work as auxiliary brake and running lights. It has worked fine for 2 years. It cost a few bucks more then the HD module, which was surprising.
Tom