Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cross Bones with Stock Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM
airbusflyer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cross Bones with Stock Pipes

Hello all,

I have finally made the move today and paid a downpayment on 08 Cross Bones in Blue Denim. I love this bike looks even though it was not one of my main models of selection but the looks and the positive feedback I got from my rider friends as well as the reviews encouraged me to seriously consider the bones. Hopefully I will get it in a week from today.

I am looking for the famous Harley sound and I have noticed that there are a few ways to go about achieving this:
1. Go with the Screaming eagle extension for the stock pipes which I understand is a good option
2. Go for a market set of pipes.

My question is about the pros and cons of each and I would appreciate any feedback regarding both options. Also if there are any recommendations of any particular pipes that produce awesome sound.

Thank you

Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Chief X
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an 09. Sounded like a lawn mower...I couldn't decide on what complete system to put on so for now, I put on Rush slip ons. I am extremely pleased with the sound and the look. I may leave it that way. Great choice of bikes by the way!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no such thing as SE muffler extensions. Maybe you mean SE mufflers? The se mufflers do not supply much of a sound these days. HD is making their exhausts quiet. You can go aftermarket slip ons or a total system.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

Congrats on the new XBones. You definitely made a great choice. On the subject of pipes you have the following options: Slipons: A slipon that uses the stock header pipes. The Rush looks exactly like the stock pipes, but has a great sound. Other good slipon options are the V&H Straightshots HS or the Rinehart Slipons. The Rush and V&H which cost you mail order about $225 vs $400 for the Rineharts. The other option is a complete exhaust system. The V&H Shortshots or Big Radius seem to be popular with the XBones owners, but are pretty loud for my taste. Other things to consider is that adding an exhaust will add some sound but the bike will not be able to perform near as well unless you also open the intake or air filter with a hi-flow system. Doing these things will require some kind of fuel management system, such as a V&H Fuelpak ($225), Power Commander ($280), SE Race Tuner ($460), or HD Stage 1 download ($175). Unfortunately the HD stage 1 download will probably be ok for only the Rush slipons. Other hi-flow exhaust systems will most likely require on of the other methods. They are not necesarily easy however. I have been trying to get my PowerCommander to fit on my XBones for the last 3 days. There is not much room with the plastic seat cover. I have just added the Rineharts to my bike along with the SE Hi-flow air filter and the PCIII. Now if I can just get the PCIII mounted I should be ready to go. Not easy decisions, but hopefully I have given you some food for thought. Jerry

Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the XB family!
you are going to love you new bike!

I went with the whole mess...
But my advice is to listen to a few exhausts in person... when you hear one you like ask what they are running.... bikers love to talk about their bikes!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet would be a set of aftermarket pipes. A lot of guys that buy the SE slip-ons usually end up going with a full system anyways.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 AM
airbusflyer
Novice

tnharley 7 thanks a lot for your detailed input. I appreciate all your feedback guys, it cleared out some of the stuff in my mind. There are so many options that I wanted to hear what some of the more experienced rider have to say. I will ride with the stocks for a while to get to hear and see what other people are using and make up my mind accordingly.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never even fired my bike up when I received it with the stock pipes. I put on a set of V&H Straight Shots, then fired it up. I been VERY happy with the pipes.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 AM
2002fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new bike!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM
OldSkoolBones
Tourer
Default V&H Big Shots

Congrats on the new ride! I went with the V&H Big Shots, and yes, they're a little loud (says my wife), but I love them! They sound and look great!

Attached Thumbnails New Cross Bones with Stock Pipes-040.jpg   New Cross Bones with Stock Pipes-038.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Cross Bones with Stock Pipes